Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Artist VT,,need some help!

Hello everyone,
    I hate too make my first post one of desperation,but it does work like that sometime.lol

I just purchased a Peavey Artist VT today.It does not have "240" under the "Artist".Yes I got it cheap,it was told to me to be in working order,but ya know how that goes..It is not..lol

It was missing a tube,which was no big deal,and a fuse,also no biggy.

Some history.
    I took the tubes out and checked them in my Mercury model 204 tube tester.All checked ok,I took a spare 6l6gc that I had and put it in with the others,so it now has 4 functioning tubes.Although mismatched yes,this still is not going to cause the problem at hand.

The amp has a low level hum,it has no sound at all,not even at max volumes and with the plug from the guitar and touching the tip and sleeve,there is nothing..So I pulled the amp out of the cabinet,and had a look around.I found a 22uf@35v electrolytic cap blown.It had blown out the rubber on the positive end.Also there was another adacent too it,that was the same 22uf value,with 2 diodes next to each cap.I replaced the caps,although not with 22uf@35v,I had some 47uf@63 volt on hand so,thats what went in.I realize these are not correct in value but the added voltage rating shouldn't be a problem.I just wanted to see if it gave me any response at all..Well,,still no change.Also the board is kinda baked where this blown cap was.
    I don't have a schematic for this amp,and haven't found one online as of yet.

If anyone has some direction for me it would be greatly appreciated.I am an electronics tech,although this is not my field,I have no problem following direction or flow as it may be.My field is RF,so I have vast experience with tubes,no problems there.
    Also I notice that this amp has a reverb in it,there is no foot switch that came with it,there isn't something stupid like there has to be one attached for the amp too operate is there?
    Anyway,I'd like to thank you for the cummunity and the forum.Also thanks in advance for any replies or assistance you might be able too give me.

A side question,,I am a blues player for my own enjoyment,and I was wondering if this is a good amp for my type of music? I only assume it is vintage by it's condition,it is in pretty good shape overall,not beat up or anything.

DW

Ok,,,well 25 views,and no replies..Not good for me and the O'l Peavey..lol

DW

Comment

First off welcome to the board. Contact Peavey, they will send you a schematic.

I don't know what part of the amp that the blown up caps are in, but by the value they could be cathode bypass caps. The ratings for testing will not matter much, so the caps you used are fine for now. What is most important is to find out why the cap exploded.

Comment

I responded to this over at Peavey, go see what I wrote there, I don;t want to type it all in here again.

25 views and no response means nothing. This forum like most forums has robot viewers crawling over it all the time. They count as views but they don;t post.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo,,,ON my way !

DW

Comment

I didn't want to leave my thread open,so here's an update..

Got the Schemo from Peavey,I have located the problems and will be rebuilding..

Thanks for the views and the help...

DW

Comment

Goodluck

I own a Peavey Artist, I have had it now since the 80's, its been a great sounding amp, I have had no problems with it, except I lost the foot pedal ,
              and yes it works fine without it.
              I play all styles of music,Rock,blues,country etc, so you wont have a problem playing blues.
              Goodluck and enjoy yours.

Comment

Working...
              X