No announcement yet.

what's my next step up in solder irons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's my next step up in solder irons?

Hi,

I've used a Weller 30watt solder tool for many years and now I'd like to move up in terms of temperature control etc.

I only have experience with large scale point to point wiring and want to develop skill with solid state and PCB design.

I'm just a hobbiest but can take my time and budget for quality... I'd like some thing to grow in to.

Over the years you all have helped me select some nice tools... what do you suggest?

thanks,
    mike

6 to 8 years ago, I'd have said to scour eBay and craigslist for Metcal gear being jettisoned by popping tech-bubble companies. I've used a wide range of brands and grades of equipment, but that brand never let me down.

Right now (at work) I have a Hakko 93(digit) ESD-safe soldering station with a temperature dial with a printed scale. It's been plenty adequate for everything I do there, but the thickest wire I deal with is AWG18 and then I'm soldering spade lugs on, so I don't know that it will let you solder ground lugs to a chassis.

The guy 2 benches down has a Weller rig that I just don't find as useful. YMMV.

Hope this helps!

Comment

The Metcal units are nice because they heat up in under 30 seconds. The tips are expensive, about $11.00 last time I got some on ebay. The tip maintains temperature well on most soldering tasks, I've never tried it on a chassis however. They work well on PCBs but you may need to change tips. The one bad thing is that you have to change tips to change temperature. Changing tips is very fast and only requires a little pad Metcal provides.

For soldering on a chassis I use a 225 watt Weller gun. They heat up fast and have little lights that come in handy. I got an amp once that had a bad OT that was soldered to the chassis. It took two of the big Wellers to get it off. The smaller 140 watt version isn't enough power to solder to a chassis.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks.

I've seen several remarks that the Hakko line is nicer than Weller.

I'll go look at the the Metcal line as well.

thanks,
        mike
        Last edited by mike_mccue; 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have 2 hakko 936 stations and have used them daily for about 8 years. So much better than weller IMO ! They heat up quick, tips seem to last forever, inexpensive compared to weller, and in my experience far more reliable. Couldn't ask for more, at least thats how i feel. Well, maybe one thing....i wish the cord to the iron was longer, but thats a small niggle.

Comment

I have a Weller WESD51, and really have no complaints. You can see a number of customer reviews if you look it up on Amazon. Various tips are available for under $5, but I have gotten by with the 1/16" screwdriver tip that it came with. It will handle large terminal lugs easily, and is fine for small PCB stuff. I have used it to re-solder a broken wire on a cassette tape head, which was a pretty delicate job. It's the only "good" soldering pencil I've owned, so I don't have much to compare it to.

MPM

Comment

I have used Weller WTCP units for the last 35 years or so, and am quite happy with them. SOme other units may be nicer, but I get good service from the
              Wellers. Don;t select a bench iron on the basis of whether it can solder to a chassis or not. That is like selecting a pen knife on the basis of whether it can be used to pry open a suck padlock.

For chassis work, use a large Weller gun like Loudthud suggested or use a torch. Use the bench iron for component work and small wires.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ditto on the Metcal. Once you use one, you'll get spoiled, trust me.
                Tips are expensive, but they simply don't wear. I use the same for about 5 years now.

roberto

Comment

Working...
                X