Hammond Impedance Selector Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond Impedance Selector Switch

Has anyone used one of theses to know how robust they are? http://www.tubesandmore.com/cemirror/AES05-006.pdf Bottom of the first page, P-T1600.

I'll be using this in a 4 x KT-88 build through a 1650T (120w) that that has the interleaved secondaries. I'm a bit worried about current carrying ability of the switch because 120w into a 4 ohm load is about 5.5 amps, and if that switch goes open, or melts, or... you get my drift, I'll be buying a new OT.
    -Mike

That switch doesn't look very substantial. I've heard Hammond has new versions of the classis series with a "normal" taped secondary.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I read here that the Hammonds with the easy wire secondaries are a good bit more $$$ than the old compound secondaries.

FWIW if you can live with 4 and 8 ohms as options, that can be done with a SPDT. Adding the third tap (2, 16, 500, whatever) makes it a bitch.

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

They are. When I was pricing them I seem to remember them being about 200 to 250 bucks compared to the 150 of the old design, and I got my OT NOS on eBay for 95 bucks.

I never really bothered to look at discrete ways to switch the secondaries, but it looks like a DPDT and an SPDT will get all of the designed impedances plus one higher impedance. Hmm... decisions, decisions.
        -Mike

Comment

i am in a similar situation but will be using 6xkt88's @630v. i plan on using a dpdt switch and 2 output jacks. i figured that you could have 4 and 16, or 8 and 32? depending on the setting. see if you can figure out how it works, if you cant i can find the drawing or do it again for you.

Comment

Working...
          X