Ampeg BA-115 Style Switch Cuts Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg BA-115 Style Switch Cuts Out

I have a BA-115 that cuts out a lot. I have narrowed the issue to the style switch because if I put slight inward pressure on the switch the sound returns. If there is no pressure on the switch the sound will cut out after a short period of time.

I have the chassis out and the switch does not look servicable. I am wondering where I can order a replacement switch. Can I call Ampeg on Monday, do they sell this part?

I need a few knobs also for this amp.

Also, what is that white grease under the heatsink called? I guess I will need to get some of that also.

Thanks, Mark

You can certainly try Ampeg - they should at least be able to get you the correct (fits in the PCB holes) part.

The white stuff is called Thermal Compound, Thermal Grease or Heat Sink Compound/Grease. It's not an electrical insulator, so be aware of any mica or kapton bits between the component and heat sink and reuse/replace as needed.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Before you order that part, fire up the amp while the chassis is out. Now use something insulated - like a wooden chopstick - to press down on the circuit board hear and there. Does that also make it cut out? I am concerned that presing on your switch knob just passes a little flex onto the circuit board.

THE biggest cutting out problem onthose is hte headphones jack. That jack has cutout contacts for the speaker. If they don;t close well electrically, then you get no sound.

If it really is the switch, and not for example the solder under it, an AMpeg dealer can order on, or look carefully in ALlied, Mouser etc. Is the switch identified on itself?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

88-108-01 is the part number
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

it was the solder

I ended up noticing a bad solder joint on one of the legs of the switch.

I have it all back together again and will have my bass player test it out for me Thursday night at practice to make sure it holds up.

Thanks again for the help!

MC

Comment

Working...
          X