Fender Blues DeVille Hiss Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues DeVille Hiss Problem

I will find myself playing through a 2 year old, practically new Blues DeVille for the next few months. I am familiar with this series of amps (Blues DeVille, Blues DeLuxe, the Hot Rod variants, etc.) through rental and other backline situations. I am not a very big fan of this line of amps, but it is what I'll have to work with, so I'd like to make the best of it. The problem, in this one (and practically every one I've used) is HISS. A loud noise floor of an annoying and unwanted audio hiss. It increases, naturally, as you turn up the volume. In researching other sites and threads about this problem, it seems that those answering a query are practically apologists for this amp by suggesting it might be anything BUT the amp. But I have a lengthy and frankly disappointing history with this line of amplifiers and they ALL have this problem, to one degree or another. In my case, as in many I'm sure, the problem is not....my wall power, my instrument, my effects, my cabling...etc etc etc. It is the amp itself. As usual.

Anyone out there who knows, recognizes and/or has dealt with this problem have any suggestions or ideas on how to lessen or eliminate this pesky problem? Any chance it could be something as simple as swapping a pre-amp tube somewhere, or different filter caps....or is it something that is endemic to this line of relatively inexpensive amps that one just has to deal with? Those familiar with this hiss will certainly agree that it would make this amp useless for critical recording, and spoils what might be an otherwise satisfactory user experience by it's existence.

Any help/tips much appreciated, Mark

Have a look on this site and find what can cause hiss in your amp.
    Tube Amplifier Debugging Page
    It's up to you if you want to completely change the amps innards like resistors, caps etc.
    Aside from that the hiss might be from the four preamp stages in a row.
    Maybe some known low noise preamp tubes are worth a try.

Comment

Anyone out there who knows, recognizes and/or has dealt with this problem have any suggestions or ideas on how to lessen or eliminate this pesky problem? Any chance it could be something as simple as swapping a pre-amp tube somewhere, or different filter caps....or is it something that is endemic to this line of relatively inexpensive amps that one just has to deal with? Those familiar with this hiss will certainly agree that it would make this amp useless for critical recording, and spoils what might be an otherwise satisfactory user experience by it's existence.
      My brother and I have been using the Blues Deluxe model for 14 years now so I have some experience with them. His developed a hiss which is probably what you're describing. Mine has not so far. His has more mileage on it than mine does though. He had his fixed for this and if I remember correctly it was due to bad solder connections (I should check this though to be sure). His amp repair guy told him that a lot of the problems that develop with these amps are due to solder connections that go bad with time from being repeatedly heated up during use.

The amps worked fine and were reliable for a number of years so if you're going to be using an almost new one you might not have any problems with it. The rentals you've used so far have probably had their fair share of use and abuse.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
        My brother and I have been using the Blues Deluxe model for 14 years now so I have some experience with them. His developed a hiss which is probably what you're describing. Mine has not so far. His has more mileage on it than mine does though. He had his fixed for this and if I remember correctly it was due to bad solder connections (I should check this though to be sure). His amp repair guy told him that a lot of the problems that develop with these amps are due to solder connections that go bad with time from being repeatedly heated up during use.

The amps worked fine and were reliable for a number of years so if you're going to be using an almost new one you might not have any problems with it. The rentals you've used so far have probably had their fair share of use and abuse.

Hope this helps.

Greg
        This one is practically new and has the hiss real prominently.

Comment

There could be a difference in quality between the new ones and the ones that were made in the early 90's that we have. There may be other differences as well.

Greg

Comment

Working...
          X