What parts to save?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What parts to save?

I have boxes of electronic parts from flea markets, ham fests, etc. I have been going through and getting rid of anything tv, ham radio, vintage radio, etc. related. I would like to keep parts that are guitar amp related. I sell off or give away the parts. I only through out something if it is complete junk....which is rare for me.

Anyhow I would like advice on what parts to save. For example old electrolytic capacitors are tossed....especially if they are leaking or bulging. Tubes that prove to have shorts are also tossed.

I have a bunch of "orange drop" capacitors. I have read that some techs replace the brown "chocolate drop" capacitors and blue "smurf turd" capacitors. Should I throw them out?

What about "bumble bee" capacitors?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

As far as the coupling caps go.....check them for value and leakage....thats the only way you can tell if they're good or bad. Just 'cause they're old don't mean they are faulty. I don't care what "guru" says to replace them just because of the type. Old paper-oil caps are the only type that readily fails with age.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
    X