Problems w/ Hiwatt lead 50 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems w/ Hiwatt lead 50 head

I'm not sure if this problem is with my amp or my cabinet.

This amp is normally extremely loud. I barely need to take it past half way while jamming. But while I was playing one day it started making a strange crackling noise, Shortly after most of the power this amp had was gone. with both the lead and master volume at full blast it was terribly quiet. it still plays but also crackles horribly, and fades in and out.

I hope some one can possibly give me some options as to what is going on with my amp. As I have no idea.

thank you.

Welcome to the place.
    The issue with your amp can be several things. One of the easiest ways of troubleshooting is to change tubes with known good ones. Watch out if you played the amp before, they're hot. If you don't wanna change all of them at once, have a look at them. Does any of them look burned or cracked? If not change 'em one by one. Amp still quiet?

Comment

First check your speaker cable and cab with an ohm meter to make sure you don't have a short or a bad connection. Then check them with another amp. If the cable and cab sound good, swap out the output tubes. If that doesn't remedy the situation, swap out the preamp tubes. If that doesn't do it you are going to have to troubleshoot and it could be a lot of things as said previously, hopefully not an output transformer.

Comment

Working...
      X