Help With Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Power Supply

Let's preface this with: I don't know much about electricity. I can rewire most any guitar, follow most any wiring diagram, etc... but I don't fully understand electricity.

That said, I am in the process of building my pickup winder. I got a bathroom fan motor (since I can plug it directly into the wall), Cub 5 with the add on power supply (so I can also plug this directly into the wall) and the IR optical switch.

My problem is that the optical switch is 1.8V and I don't know how to run power to it. I dont want a power cord for the motor and counter AND a wall wart to power the switch. So I need to either build a 1.8V PSU and wire it into the A/C line that will support the motor and counter or hope that maybe the counter can power the switch.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Wimsatt Instruments

Originally posted by automan View Post
    My problem is that the optical switch is 1.8V and I don't know how to run power to it. I dont want a power cord for the motor and counter AND a wall wart to power the switch. So I need to either build a 1.8V PSU and wire it into the A/C line that will support the motor and counter or hope that maybe the counter can power the switch.
    Will the optical switch work on 1.5 volts DC? If so, a single D cell in a battery holder will do it.

Comment

I'll try that to get up and running, but I really want to have it all powered with one cord to the wall.

On a side note, what part of Boston are you in? All the Guitar Center guitar techs in MA and NH work for me. I live close to the MA/NH border in North Andover. You mind if I pick your brains sometime since you are local?
      Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Many of the counters will power thier own sensors. I bought a PAXLCR meter from Red Lion and a Thru-Bore encoder. The PAXLCR powered the encoder through the wires.

Red Lion is EXTREMELY helpful. I was a total nub. I called and asked about wiring questions and they guided me through the whole thing. Phone them and tell them that you are thinking about buying a CUB5 (Even though you already have) and that you have a 1.8v optical sensor.. Ask them what you will need to make it work with the CUB5. My guess is nothing and that the unit will power it.. Though a quick glance through the manual shows that the output seems to be 4 - 28 vdc. Also ask them what wires go where.

Super cool people and I would buy from them again just based on thier customer support.

b.

Comment

Let's preface this with: I don't know much about electricity. I can rewire most any guitar, follow most any wiring diagram, etc... but I don't fully understand electricity.

That said, I am in the process of building my pickup winder. I got a bathroom fan motor (since I can plug it directly into the wall), Cub 5 with the add on power supply (so I can also plug this directly into the wall) and the IR optical switch.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Which optional power supply did you get? The 12VDC or 24? It doesn't really matter as you can build a voltage divider for either with a resistor network. A voltage divider does literally what it says. It divides a single voltage into other voltages. For instance, if your power supply puts out 12vdc (volts direct current) and you put it into two identical resistors in series, then between the resistors the voltage will be 6 volts. If there were three in series, then the first junction would be 8 volts, then the second junction would be 4 volts.

BUT, if you put the 12vdc into a 5K resistor then a 1K resistor, the voltage between them would be 2vdc. It basically uses 5/6ths of the voltage across the 5k resistor. 2vdc is probably within spec of the optical switch.
          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

While this isn't your sensor, this diagram illustrates how to interface a sensor with a CUB counter:

http://classicamplification.net/winder/OPTEK-CUB4.pdf
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I have read every bit of your website. It is what made me decide to build a pickup winder. I found it a while before I found these forums. Lots of the pages are broken, but some of them you can correct the url to get working.
              Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

I have read every bit of your website. It is what made me decide to build a pickup winder. I found it a while before I found these forums. Lots of the pages are broken, but some of them you can correct the url to get working.
                Can you PM me and tell which pages you see as broken? I moved the stuff a while back off ISP.com over onto a hosted site with GoDaddy.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                  For instance, if your power supply puts out 12vdc (volts direct current) and you put it into two identical resistors in series, then between the resistors the voltage will be 6 volts.
                  yes but without load..... but if you put a load (the IR optical switch) beetwen they (and gnd), the current in first resistor is not same that in second resistor and then tension is not V/2.....

but what is the model of the ir switch?
                  Last edited by -Elepro-; 07-14-2009, 01:41 PM.
                  .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
                  .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post

Optek OPB830W55Z
                    Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Optek OPB830W55Z
                      ....and how many voltage is PSU of cub5?

Comment

connect:

black & green to PWR COMMON
                        white to INPUT A
                        red to +9-28VDC cub5 inpout voltage trough a resitor (needs voltage value PSU for resistor value)
                        Last edited by -Elepro-; 07-15-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
                          yes but without load..... but if you put a load (the IR optical switch) beetwen they (and gnd), the current in first resistor is not same that in second resistor and then tension is not V/2.....

But any solid state device should only draw micro amps as current and shouldn't effect the voltage drop across the resistors. This is the IR supply, not the switched voltage.
                          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

....micro amps
                            the IR emitter consumption is 20mA = 20000 uA.... there are no led (IR emitter) that turn on with micro amps

BUT, if you put the 12vdc into a 5K resistor then a 1K resistor, the voltage between them would be 2vdc. It basically uses 5/6ths of the voltage across the 5k resistor. 2vdc is probably within spec of the optical switch.
                            this solution is totally wrong.... if you put a 5k resistor in that circuit can not be more than 2,3mA..... and the ir emitter don't work...

if you search you never will see a voltage divider for supply a led (the ir emitter) but always a single resistor....
                            Last edited by -Elepro-; 07-14-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Optek OPB830W55Z
                              Really? then you sure can use my pdf as a guide to hook your's up.

Look at the picture in the middle of the page, you will see how.

Right above the part that says "78Lxx" you will see a small chart, you get to pick which 78Lxx device you want to use.

Here's how, if you have (or want to use) a 78L09 which is a 9V regulator, you can see on the chart that your resistor values will be:

R1 will be 385 Ohms
                              R2 will be 15K

These values will give you the correct LED and Ic currents for the Optec. The final piece you need is just to power the circuit with a wall-wart which puts out a DC voltage of at least 3 volts more than the 78Lxx device you decided to use.
                              (ie; get a 12VDC wall wart)
                              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                              X