Potting Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting Tank

It may be overkill for me at this time, but I just ordered a potting tank. Amazon.com: Gigi Digital Steel Bowl Paraffin Bath [ #0953 ]: Health & Personal Care

I also ordered parrafin and purified beeswax to go in at 80/20.

I'll report back as to how it performs. It looks big enough to handle a full day's work building pickups by hand by one person. We'll see.
    Wimsatt Instruments

Actually that might work pretty well! It took me a while to settle on what to use. I eventually settled on a roaster from sears..

Nesco 6 Quart Roaster Oven - White - Porcelain Cookwell

I liked it because it had a tempurate gauge, and a nice lip on the top that allowed me to build a polycarbonate lid for doing vacuum potting. I was a little worried the first time I turned it on but the main bowl held and wax penetrated right to the core. I bought the parafix at Vons (Safeway) and woodcraft had nice blocks of beeswax that smell great.

b.

Comment

I've been contemplating wax potting, and was wondering what to use. I didn't realize they made wax warming pots!

Here's another cheaper one, $47.09:

Amazon.com: Homedics PAR-150 ParaSpa Pro Adjustable Temperature Paraffin Bath with Wax and Liners Included, White: Health & Personal Care
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

classic potting techniques! Remember the paraffin can sound overly refined while the beeswax can have a high frequency emphasis that goes well with a 5150 amp...with added floral notes!

Seriously, wax works well and is somewhat reversible.

Low viscous CA works well for me to quiet microphonic coils, but there is no going back unless your insulation is "acetone proof" Heat-meltable insulation builds add bulk and are expensive but done well are ultimately dampening.

It is summer though; the wax pot could double up on a "Brazilian" side project!

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          classic potting techniques! Remember the paraffin can sound overly refined while the beeswax can have a high frequency emphasis that goes well with a 5150 amp...with added floral notes!

Seriously, wax works well and is somewhat reversible.

Low viscous CA works well for me to quiet microphonic coils, but there is no going back unless your insulation is "acetone proof" Heat-meltable insulation builds add bulk and are expensive but done well are ultimately dampening.

It is summer though; the wax pot could double up on a "Brazilian" side project!
          Rick Turner used to use CA. I'm currently using varnish, but I'm contemplating wax to speed up the production time. I'd thought of tying CA, and I'll have to give it a try before I switch methods. I use a lot of it anyway in constructing my bobbins and stuff.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

OK, I tried some CA... nice solid coil in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              OK, I tried some CA... nice solid coil in no time.
              Sorry, but I'm just need to ask: what is CA?
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

CA = Cyano Acrylat (spelling?) = Super Glue

I used CA for my first couple of pickups. Let just say that a rewind is nothing to consider...

I have a GiGi Wax melter but a smaller one, even smaller than the one David linked to (only suitable for one pickup at a time). Works like a charm. Melt the wax in under ten minutes and not nearly as messy as the "bucket in a pot of boiling water" I started with or not nearly as deangerous as my home built wax melter.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                  CA = Cyano Acrylat (spelling?) = Super Glue
                  cyanoacrylate

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                  I used CA for my first couple of pickups. Let just say that a rewind is nothing to consider...
                  I encapsulate the pickups in epoxy anyway, so rewinds are out of the question, even if I pot in wax.

I have a GiGi Wax melter but a smaller one, even smaller than the one David linked to (only suitable for one pickup at a time). Works like a charm. Melt the wax in under ten minutes and not nearly as messy as the "bucket in a pot of boiling water" I started with or not nearly as deangerous as my home built wax melter.
                  I might have started using wax from the start if I had seen these wax melters. I didn't want to deal with the mess.

Comment

Like David, I fully encapsulate my pickups in epoxy to permanently seal them. For potting, I use a special epoxy which has a viscosity about like CA glue. It's Smith's MultiWoodPrime, which is sold as a pre-treatment for wood. I line up a row of bobbins and pour and daub it on to the coils. It soaks all the way to the core and cures in about an hour.

Comment

Doesn't the CA get hot enough when it kicks off to mess up some of the insulation?
                      Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

On its own it shouldnt unless you use an accelerator like Zip Kicker. On it's own is remains fairly cool. I think the key is you dont want to smother it.

I've had issues with crazy glue soaked rags spontaneously combusting in our garbage cans and dumpsters.. We used to soak Brazilian guitars in CA before body sanding. but that is a slightly different circumstance.

My only advise would be to spread out any paper towel you use (for clean up) on the ground and let the glue fully harden before thowing it away. The Fire department has gotten pretty familiar with our dumpster over the years.

Comment

Seems like there would be an easy way to test. Measure the capacitance of a pickup before, then again after using CA
                          Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by automan View Post
                            Doesn't the CA get hot enough when it kicks off to mess up some of the insulation?
                            It doesn't seem to get hot, but the epoxy sure does. And wax is hot too.

I use MG Chemicals potting epoxy. It has the viscosity of maple syrup.

I don't think it's hot enough to melt the insulation though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                              Like David, I fully encapsulate my pickups in epoxy to permanently seal them. For potting, I use a special epoxy which has a viscosity about like CA glue. It's Smith's MultiWoodPrime, which is sold as a pre-treatment for wood. I line up a row of bobbins and pour and daub it on to the coils. It soaks all the way to the core and cures in about an hour.
                              I'll have to check that epoxy out.

Comment

Working...
                              X