Blues Deville 4x10, flooded, no reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues Deville 4x10, flooded, no reverb

Heavy rains in the Northeast flooded my friends garage and the bottom of my Deville was wet. The lower section of the cabinet and tweed finish were very moist when we met for band practice. The amp works (thank God) but the presence and reverb are now gone. Are the mechanics for the foot switch located in the bottom of the amp (beneath the fake leather casing)? Will it dry out and work again or am I screwed. I would hate to buy a new amp, this is the re-issue line that came out in the early 90's when they were made in the USA. What are the repair costs? I miss that wet (reverb wise, not weather wise) Fender clean tone.

Any info. or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by tdecker77 View Post
    ...the presence and reverb are now gone. Are the mechanics for the foot switch located in the bottom of the amp (beneath the fake leather casing)?
    Welcome!
    The reverb spring tank is located inside the bag on the bottom of your amp. If it has gotten wet, it will need to be cleaned and dried out. Remove the two screws that hold the bag down to the bottom of the cabinet. Slide out the metal reverb tank. Clean and dry the bag, tank, springs, wires, RCA connectors, etc. Make sure to note which RCA connector goes to each jack, input and output.

Before you re-install the tank, hook up the wires to the tank and turn the amp on. If you turn up the reverb control and shake the tank, you should hear the sound of springs crashing through the speaker. Play your guitar through the amp and see if the reverb is working correctly. If all is well, re-install the tank and bag.

As for the presence control, there is nothing in the bottom of the amp that would cause it to stop working. The control may need servicing.

Comment

Sounds like good news. I can fix that.
      thanks for the quick reply. Any tips on now to clean the tweed exterior?
      Tim

Comment

Any tips on now to clean the tweed exterior?
        Tim
        Try automotive upholstery cleaner with a soft brush. Test it on the bottom panel before diving in.

Comment

Reverb springs have been cleaned, dried, and it works. Thanks to all for taking the time to help me out (saved me a bundle of cash). Presence is also working. It was probably fine I was just used to hearing the reverb.
          I like a good amount of reverb, 5 on the dial.
          I will try the upholstery cleaner with a stiff brush.

Adios

Tim

Comment

Reverb springs have been cleaned, dried, and it works. Thanks to all for taking the time to help me out (saved me a bundle of cash). Presence is also working. It was probably fine I was just used to hearing the reverb.
            I like a good amount of reverb, 5 on the dial.
            I will try the upholstery cleaner with a stiff brush.

Adios

Tim
            I have been told not to use Armour all for Tolex. Not sure why.
            sigpicCharlieP
            (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
            Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
            Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
            Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
            Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
            Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
            Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Don't use a brush that is too stiff, as it will tear up the thread in the tweed. Watch out for cut ends of the fabric, as they will unravel with too much brushing. That's why I suggested to test it on the bottom panel.

Comment

Working...
              X