Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh oh, "new" pickup making guide on Ebay???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh, "new" pickup making guide on Ebay???

I jus saw this on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GUIDE-TO-BUILD-A...QQcmdZViewItem

If the link doesn't work its item number 250062777471

I have a strong suspiscion this guy may have scanned Lollar's book and selling it on disc. Regardless, if any of it is copyrighted material this guy is breaking the law. From his other auctions it doesn't look like he is a pickup maker so this looks really suspiscious.....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

If it is Jason's book that this person is selling on CD, or even excerpts from it, this person could be in big trouble if he hasn't gotten permission from the author.

I'm not a lawyer but it would definitely be an infringement on Jason's copyright.

Its one thing to write your own book but it's totally despicable to profit from someone else's hard work. If I were the author, I would contact this seller and find out.

I had someone proposition me a few months back when I had my copy of the book for sale on eBay. This person said that he would give me $50 to make a copy for him. I told him NO WAY!!!

I wish the best for Jason financially but I wasn’t going to make him rich because of a stupid $50 mistake on my part.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Curiosity was killing me, I just bought it...I'll let you guys know.

~Stan
      -Stan
      ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
      Stan Hinesley Pickups
      FaceBook

Comment

you beat me to it by a second. I was trying to buy it now so I could have my attourney take care of it. Let me know what it is or mail it to me, I will pay you for it.
        Thanks for alerting me dave.
        I have been watching for this and doing a pdf like that is far easier than binding fake copies

Comment

Will do, Jason. I figured that if it is yours, it would be better if one of "us" got it.

~Stan
          -Stan
          Stan Hinesley Pickups
          FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
            you beat me to it by a second. I was trying to buy it now so I could have my attourney take care of it. Let me know what it is or mail it to me, I will pay you for it.
            Thanks for alerting me dave.
            I have been watching for this and doing a pdf like that is far easier than binding fake copies
            Why dont you do the same?
            I'd love to have a copy, but at the average going rate of $175.00 I just cant do it.
            Bryan Gunsher
            http://www.bg-pups.com
            https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

two reasons, for every copy I sell I get 50 questions- its not worth it and all it did was flood the market with people making half assed pickups.
              It was really intended for guitar makers, not for some guy to wind two pickups and put up a website.

Comment

Jason, it must've been yours (or someone else's). The guy just refunded my PayPal payment with the following note:

"I'm sorry I can not sell this CD, I have been informed in doing so I would be violating copywrite laws. Regards, Tim"

~Stan
                -Stan
                Stan Hinesley Pickups
                FaceBook

Comment

You would think the guy would have figured that out before he tried to sell it on ebay. I would bet he noticed the post here about it and got scared, and I would bet he tries again at a later date under some other name. I'd be on the lookout Jason.....

Greg

Comment

Yehaay , bout time someone selling bodgy shit got pulled , as regards the 50 questions Jason you could always do a FAQ section on the back page.......

Mick

Comment

How many guys can attest to having asked 50 to 100 questions? hundreds- I probably talked to over a thousand people. i know there are around 5,000 copies out there.
                      I get 5 questions a day about that #%!$% book "why dont I do this or that, PDF- electronic format- I will print it for you bla bla" "Do you have any- know where to get one bla bla bla. "Help me i am living in my car and just got out of the joint and need to make some money"- seriously- thats no lie.

Ebay is really on top of shutting down violators- as soon as someone files a report that it is a possible pirate they pull it.

Comment

Stan can you foward me that email from the seller?

Comment

How many guys can attest to having asked 50 to 100 questions? hundreds- I probably talked to over a thousand people. i know there are around 5,000 copies out there.
                          I get 5 questions a day about that #%!$% book "why dont I do this or that, PDF- electronic format- I will print it for you bla bla" "Do you have any- know where to get one bla bla bla. "Help me i am living in my car and just got out of the joint and need to make some money"- seriously- thats no lie.

Ebay is really on top of shutting down violators- as soon as someone files a report that it is a possible pirate they pull it.

I can confirm the phone call issue after having a 4 page article on pickup winding in a UK guitar rag. It is a bloody nightmare so I can fully understand why Jason doesn't want to reprint etc.

I wonder who this guy is that produced that CD. It does seem like he's been lurking here. I only hope he's not one of our forum members. If he is then he should be feeling pretty ashamed right now.
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Stan can you foward me that email from the seller?

PM sent.

~Stan
                            -Stan
                            Stan Hinesley Pickups
                            FaceBook

Comment

pdfs.....

The way to sell it would be through StewMac, pdfs on disc, BIG disclaimer on the front of the thing DO NOT EMAIL QUESTIONS, THIS BOOK DOES NOT HAVE TECH SUPPORT. In other words you get a third party to sell it, you don't offer support and if they try just toss the email, hang up the phone. could be done, there's still demand for it, but in reality probably not alot of money to be made from it. On the other hand putting it on disc makes it real easy to copy too, so thats probably a bad idea.....
                              Hey I'll sell my copy for $27,500 so I can get the IRS off my back, any takers??? Is marked up but in good condition :-) Hell, I'll throw in a FREE guitar with the deal, TWO free guitars.....
                              http://www.SDpickups.com
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                              X