PZM low output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PZM low output

I've got a PZM boundry mic that has seemingly low output, even with a fresh 1.5V battery. Is this stock or where should one look to repair it? The wire and jack are fine. These use a small capsule ala Panasonic/camcorder type.

Are your impedances matching up?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, it's going into Hi-Z; saying "check" at close range I get about -6dB on the meters with the trim fairly loud. I thought this seemed quiet as they're supposed to be "room mics" no? In a kick drum and perhaps piano, this might work well. I guess there isn't much of a preamp in these things. They sound good though. 'just want to be sure they're working as designed.

Comment

The point of a "room" mic is not so much that it is real sensitive, but the way it is designed, it minimizes that "off-mic" sound. SO you can plop it in the middle of a large conference table and it gets everyone without sounding like they are in another room or down a well.

Look up the spec sheet on one and compare to something familiar like a SM57.

I think Crown invented boundary mics, and licenses them to others who make them. SHould be some writing about it at Crown. Of course I may be having a senior moment.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You're right on with that BG info. The cool thing is that these are so easy to make or adapt. I now pop these capsules just out of sight—next to the hole—in acoustics and they sound incredible. An external preamp box works with all an owners instruments that are 2-wired thus; no batteries or preamps to route inside your uke, mando or Martin.

It's a challenge with acoustic players to find a good pickup/preamp.

I sold the PZM after ensuring they worked perfectly.
          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X