Fender Blues Junior power transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues Junior power transformer

I'm considering buying a Fender Blues Junior amp with US specs to play here in the UK. (I've seen a specific one on sale cheap). Does the power transformer have the taps required to rewire it for 230v or 240v ? Or is a new power transformer needed ? I've heard conflicting answers.

ps I don't want to use an external step down transformer because of the weight but would consider a voltage converter

Conflicting answers?

The stock transformer in US models is a 49967, and that is a 120v-only power transformer. The export model transformer is a 49968, which covers 230,240, 100v, and apparently also can be wired for "115v."

SO from a stock US amp you would need a new transformer. Seems to me that a new transformer would cost no more than some external measures, so why not just do it right?

Now it is possible that at some point in a production run they mave have come up short in supply of 120v transformers and they could have installed universal export ones instead and wired them for domestic use. But that would be exceptional. I don;t know that it happened, but it is posssible, so some individual MIGHT have an export transformer in his US amp to report. And I know for example that when Crate makes a US amp and uses a 120v-only transformer, if I buy a replacement from them it often comes in the form of a universal export one, along with a instruction sheet explaining the different wiring.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X