Danelectro U2 - Wiring Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danelectro U2 - Wiring Diagram

Hello. I can't find a wiring diagram for the Danelectro U2. I read that the original put the lipsticks in series rather than parallel when you had both selected. I want that one.
    Can anyone help?

Thanks!

i dont know how that specific guitar was wired but it wouldnt be difficult to draw up a wiring diagram. But if that guitar has any collector value and is unmodified or you arent confident in your soldering skills you should not rewire it. Assuming it is a master tone and master volume it would go a little something like this.
    Key:
    ---- = wire
    / = variation of switch
    > or ^ = connections
    o = spacing to put bottom line in right place

ground -> pickup 1 -> pickup 2 -> volume/tone controls -> output
    ooooooo^-----/-------^------\-----^

when the /'s are connected it short circuits the pick up, with both connected no sound with neither connected both on. If your switch is a les paul type you are going to have to think of another way because the middle setting will short circuit both.

edit: excuse the crude "diagram" i couldnt be bothered drawing one up properly.

Comment

It's not a vintage one. It's one of the late 90s reissues. I am very confident in my soldering skills.

Then I guess I just want a picture of how to toggle into a series connection instead of the usual parallel one. I can wire up the stacked vol/tone pots like any other strat ones I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by spartadrive_in View Post
        It's not a vintage one. It's one of the late 90s reissues. I am very confident in my soldering skills.

Then I guess I just want a picture of how to toggle into a series connection instead of the usual parallel one. I can wire up the stacked vol/tone pots like any other strat ones I suppose.
        It would be helpful to those interested in this wiring that the only way this wiring works is with an on/off/on 3way switch. I can't find an actual guitar toggle that will accomplish this so I purchased an automotive type at Radio Shack which is actually closer to what the original Danos used. Just follow the duo sonic layout on the Seymour Duncan site with the on/off/on switch and you're happenin'.

Comment

Diagram at Danguitars.com

If you haven't gotten things yet, it looks like you may be able to use the diagram at:

http://www.danguitars.com/user/Lipstick_pu_wiring.JPG

Now is there someone that has a diagram for the Danelectro Select-O-Matic?

I am trying a re-wire with effects on a Dan-O Double Neck 6/12.

Comment

Danoletric U2 PU wiring

That is a parallel configuration with a On/Both/On switch.
            I have just been through this on a '56 U2 reissue.
            It uses a On/None/On switch
            Parallel/Bridge/Series.
            See my post:http://music-electronics-forum.com/t17084/

Comment

Originally posted by gswallow View Post
              If you haven't gotten things yet, it looks like you may be able to use the diagram at:

http://www.danguitars.com/user/Lipstick_pu_wiring.JPG

Now is there someone that has a diagram for the Danelectro Select-O-Matic?

I am trying a re-wire with effects on a Dan-O Double Neck 6/12.
              The problem is that the wiring diagram on that link is not authentic with both pickups in series. If you follow my instructions above you will have the correct pickup switch wiring. Don't know about the twelve string wiring. J

Comment

Not Authentic

Customer swears that this how the wiring is from the factory.
                Parallel/Bridge/Series.
                If it is not, I want to meet the guy who did it, cause it sounds awesome!
                I checked the wiring myself as I was drawing it. No melted wire insulation, clean solder joints, no spatter.
                Looks factory to me.
                Again, that Seymour Duncan schematic is a parallel configuration.
                Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 01-12-2010, 04:02 AM.

Comment

I can not tell you if the diagram on the link is true to the original U2. All I can do is verify that the diagram does match what I have in my re-issue double neck. At least from the point after the neck selector switch. Also, the Seymour-Duncan diagram uses a master volume and tone setup. The Danelectro uses two stacked pot sets giving individual volume and tone control for each pickup. Something that wouldn't be to easy in series. In my double-neck, the pickup selector is wired as in the diagram and gives me bridge/both/neck.

As I understand it, all Danelectro's were made in Korea. I got this from Dr. Duck when I purchased strings. The word there is that the instruments came from Korea bone dry with crap strings. They were oiled and setup using Dr. Duck strings before hitting the US market.

What I am trying to do is replace a shorted 4PDT On-Off-On neck selector switch. And, since I am doing so add a bit. I have a rotary to allow for configuring the pickups such as with the Select-O-Matic, but I can not find a neck selector switch that is On-Off-On. So I am drawing up a new schematic and looking for diagrams of the U3 and any Danelectro using the Select-O-Matic for a bit of direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                    Customer swears that this how the wiring is from the factory.
                    Parallel/Bridge/Series.
                    If it is not, I want to meet the guy who did it, cause it sounds awesome!
                    I checked the wiring myself as I was drawing it. No melted wire insultion, clean solder joints, no spatter.
                    Looks factory to me.
                    Again, that Seymour Duncan schematic is a parallel configuration.
                    This seymour duncan dou sonic schematic:
                    Wiring Diagram
                    Is not parallel! Look at how the switch is wired!

The danguitars schematic, which btw is also a seymour duncan schematic which originated here:
                    Wiring Diagram
                    is parallel wiring virtually identical to Les Paul wiring. Look at how the switch is wired! Compare it to a Les Paul diagram. Not Series!

I have an original 59 DC that originally had a single neck pickup and I carefully added a bridge pickup and was at a loss to figure out the series wiring until I came to the revelation about the on/off/on switch and since I prefer a single vol and tone, the duo sonic is the perfect model for me. The series wiring rocks! If your middle position is not louder than your bridge or neck positions you have parallel wiring, not series. J

Comment

Originally posted by gswallow View Post
                      I can not tell you if the diagram on the link is true to the original U2. All I can do is verify that the diagram does match what I have in my re-issue double neck. At least from the point after the neck selector switch. Also, the Seymour-Duncan diagram uses a master volume and tone setup. The Danelectro uses two stacked pot sets giving individual volume and tone control for each pickup. Something that wouldn't be to easy in series. In my double-neck, the pickup selector is wired as in the diagram and gives me bridge/both/neck.

As I understand it, all Danelectro's were made in Korea. I got this from Dr. Duck when I purchased strings. The word there is that the instruments came from Korea bone dry with crap strings. They were oiled and setup using Dr. Duck strings before hitting the US market.

What I am trying to do is replace a shorted 4PDT On-Off-On neck selector switch. And, since I am doing so add a bit. I have a rotary to allow for configuring the pickups such as with the Select-O-Matic, but I can not find a neck selector switch that is On-Off-On. So I am drawing up a new schematic and looking for diagrams of the U3 and any Danelectro using the Select-O-Matic for a bit of direction.
                      You won't find an actual guitar toggle that will accomplish this but there is an automotive type at Radio Shack which is actually closer to what the original Danos used. J

Comment

Danolectric 56 U2

I agree with both schematics.
                        Parallel & Series.
                        The drawing that I made is pretty slick, wherever it originated.
                        Parallel, Bridge, Series.
                        I thought it was slick, anyway.
                        Customer swears this is they way it came from Korea.
                        I am working with Danolectric as we type.
                        At this point , they are clueless.
                        Sure would like to know where this On/None/On switch came from.
                        Looks just like a boxy Mighty Mite MM500 which is On/Both/On.
                        White knob cap and all.
                        I contacted Mighty Mite, so far heard I have heard nothing back.
                        I am thinking of drilling & tapping the broken stalk and putting a hex head set screw in it. Might have to retap the knob.
                        I will post back if Dano acknowledges the design and possibly comes up with the proper switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          I agree with both schematics.
                          Parallel & Series.
                          The drawing that I made is pretty slick, wherever it originated.
                          Parallel, Bridge, Series.
                          I thought it was slick, anyway.
                          Customer swears this is they way it came from Korea.
                          I am working with Danolectric as we type.
                          At this point , they are clueless.
                          Sure would like to know where this On/None/On switch came from.
                          Looks just like a boxy Mighty Mite MM500 which is On/Both/On.
                          White knob cap and all.
                          I contacted Mighty Mite, so far heard I have heard nothing back.
                          I am thinking of drilling & tapping the broken stalk and putting a hex head set screw in it. Might have to retap the knob.
                          I will post back if Dano acknowledges the design and possibly comes up with the proper switch.
                          Yeah I just checked out your diagram on the other thread. Very cool. I'll have to give that a listen! J

Comment

spartadrive_in:
                            Another Source for diagrams might be this book, "Neptune Bound: The Ultimate Danelectro Guitar Guide." Amazon has it for lowest price. It has schematics, but I can not say if they are they ones needed. I am about to pick up a copy myself.

jasonguitar:
                            Thanks, I've been trying to find that Dou Sonic diagram. I was getting a 404 error on the S-D web site. And, you're right about not finding a guitar switch to do this. Seems I used to have On/Off/On toggles when I fixed things in the Navy and didn't think it would be so difficult to find. Attached are my original schematic (4P3T) and another I drew up (DPDT) after I came to realize the guitar switch I needed just wasn't available. Would appreciate your opinion.

Maybe the wrong thread, but I don't want to loose someone that knows the Dan-O. I'm getting tired of keeping 18 hot strings in tune, even my BOSS gets confused, and using a rag to mute the unused neck.

Comment

The original Danos and the original reissues all had on/off/on toggles with concentric vol/tone pots for each pickup. Switching configuration was neck/seriesboth/bridge. All the classic 2 pickup danos had the pickups in series. Some of the later 60's might have had different schemes. Some of the reissues that aren't based on old models(like the Hodad) will have different schemes.

It isn't hard to do an individual vol/tone for each pickup in series. You just have to wire it differently than usual.

Comment

Working...
                              X