Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gswallow View Post
    spartadrive_in:
    Another Source for diagrams might be this book, "Neptune Bound: The Ultimate Danelectro Guitar Guide." Amazon has it for lowest price. It has schematics, but I can not say if they are they ones needed. I am about to pick up a copy myself.

jasonguitar:
    Thanks, I've been trying to find that Dou Sonic diagram. I was getting a 404 error on the S-D web site. And, you're right about not finding a guitar switch to do this. Seems I used to have On/Off/On toggles when I fixed things in the Navy and didn't think it would be so difficult to find. Attached are my original schematic (4P3T) and another I drew up (DPDT) after I came to realize the guitar switch I needed just wasn't available. Would appreciate your opinion.

[ATTACH]7585[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7586[/ATTACH]

Maybe the wrong thread, but I don't want to loose someone that knows the Dan-O. I'm getting tired of keeping 18 hot strings in tune, even my BOSS gets confused, and using a rag to mute the unused neck.
    Your links aren't working.

Comment

Danelectro U2 - Wiring Diagram

I never got into the insides of a Dan-O; back-in-the-day. I probably would not have gotten into my Double Neck either, if it weren't for a short across the neck selector toggle. From what I can see, this re-issue is in parallel. From the neck selector toggle, through the vol/tone pots, and to the toggle just before the output jack it is two separate circuits with all grounds going to a common. The pickup hot wires are all that is going to the pickup selector switch just before the jack. If the toggle is On/None/On or On/On/On I can not say. What I know to be true is that I get Neck/Both/Bridge. I get no greater volume in Both position so must be parallel. I can see no way this instrument could have the the pickups in series. Following the cercuit shows that this instrument is wired as jasonguitar showed with the Seymour-Duncan diagram.

There's my rub. Since spartadrive_in's U2 is a re-issue from the 90's, chances are that his is wired as/similar to my double neck and not as the original Dan-O's either. The sound of the original Dan-O is what I am trying for and why I am looking for diagrams. I imagine this is the same for spartadrive_in. Re-issues are not destined for some collectors trophy shelf and are good for such mods.

I have an idea how I might go about changing my harness design to get that original Dan-O sound, but I need diagrams/schematics for a U3 and an original Double Neck. Impossible to find I am sure, but is there someone in this thread that has or knows someone who has the "Neptune Bound: ..." book and can tell me if the the U3 or the Double Neck schematics are in the book? I am not asking for copies. I just have limited funds due to economy and, though I want the book, the schematics would fulfill a need to help me repair the instrument I have and justify the expense.
      Last edited by gswallow; 01-13-2010, 03:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Diagrams

jasonguitar:

Here's another try with the schemtics. They are under the size limitation PDF files. Not sure what the problem is. I could send them up to my site or direct.

Danelectro4P3T.pdf

DanelectroDPDT.pdf

Tested with preview and they seem to be working this time. Disregard the addition of the acoustic/piezo pickups.

Note to all: These are not examples of Danelectro original schematics. They are my own designs of what I had intended to do with my Re-Issue Double Neck.
        Last edited by gswallow; 01-13-2010, 02:13 PM. Reason: Note:

Comment

http://www.danguitars.com/user/59-DC...%20Diagram.jpg

Comment

Iīve recently instaled a danelectro select-o-matic switch on my 90īs reissue U2, so now i have neck/neck+bridge paralel/bridge/neck+bridge series/ neck+bridge paralel out of phase/neck+bridge series out of phase. No matter how hard I tried, i ended up with only one volume and one tone pots. Does anybody know how to maintain the two volume and two tone controls? Based on all the research iīve made, it seems impossible to have a rotary switch with two volume and two tone pots...

Because there isnīt any information on the Select-o-matic 6-way 4-pole switch, hereīs how it works:

Pole 1 -- C 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pole 2 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 C

Pole 3 -- C 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pole 4 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 C

Comment

Two Tone/Vol controls with Rotary

Ran into the same issue with my Double Neck 12/6. The only way I can see two Tone/Vol would be to have them wired prior to the rotary and insert the rotary before the twin Tone/vol come together. Maybe, by using the DC-59 diagram, replace the 3-way switch with the rotary.

Yeah, right... I ended up accepting a single Tone/vol stack control at the end. Note that my biggest problem has been isolating the pickups on a double neck in neck pairs. Then going to the rotary for selection and phasing of the isolated neck/pair. Similar to what you have come up with for a single neck instrument. I also am adding a set of piezo pickups in series under each bridge and run the set as a single pickup in parallel with the lipstick pickups.

If only I could find the schematic diagram for a Danelectro (56-U3) with the Select-O-Matic and blow switch detail in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mufanito View Post
                Iīve recently instaled a danelectro select-o-matic switch on my 90īs reissue U2, so now i have neck/neck+bridge paralel/bridge/neck+bridge series/ neck+bridge paralel out of phase/neck+bridge series out of phase. No matter how hard I tried, i ended up with only one volume and one tone pots. Does anybody know how to maintain the two volume and two tone controls? Based on all the research iīve made, it seems impossible to have a rotary switch with two volume and two tone pots...

Because there isnīt any information on the Select-o-matic 6-way 4-pole switch, hereīs how it works:

Pole 1 -- C 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pole 2 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 C

Pole 3 -- C 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pole 4 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 C

Pole 1 -- C 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pole 2 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 C

Pole 3 -- C 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pole 4 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 C

In my own efforts to figure out the U3/Select-O-Matic wiring I got something that may help you. Take not that once you go series on the rotary, you'll have one out put. I believe the original wiring of the Select-O-Matic used parallel and only put the lipsticks in series when using the blow (bypass) switch. The U3 also had only one out put to a single tone/volume pot, so that wiring would do you little good.

For what I am doing, adding a third pickup on each neck of a double neck Dan-O, I had designed a rotary (4pole 6 Position Non Select-O-Matic) switch circuit to mix/phase the two lipsticks on a selected neck (see my previous post), but because of phasing and series options, it only has one out from the rotary. Some of my mixing will render an unusable combination and I have been unable to find a neck selecting toggle that does what I need it to do. So I am trying for some form of U3 functionality.

In trying to with the parts that I have gathered already I have come up with wiring the rotary in reverse (so to speak). I looked into how the Select-O-Matic combines the lipsticks on a U3, or tried to find such a diagram anyway. With an actual Select-O-Matic this may be a little tricky, but from pole to pole connection should be the same (hoping). Rather

Using the primary 4 poles for input limits the switch to two pickups for any one combination. The U3 has three lipsticks, but never uses more than two at a time. In my case the primary four pole will be my out put. I will use the four poles of each of the six positions for my input.

From what I can find the Select-O-Matic made the following in each position: 1) neck & bridge, 2) neck, 3) neck & middle, 4) middle, 5) middle & bridge, 6) bridge. I am adding a Piezo sensor under each bridge as my third/bridge pickup. I am thinking a scheme such as the one below should do this:

1 2 3 4 5 6

1 neck+ neck+ neck+ middle+ middle+ --
                2 neck- neck- neck- middle- middle- --
                3 bridge+ -- midde+ -- bridge+ bridge+
                4 bridge- -- middle- -- bridge- bridge-

All selections I have here are in parallel. For me this will work since I am limited some by having to also select which set/neck of pickups I am mixing. However you could use the first set of three to select parallel pairs and the second set for phase shifting and series pairs. Something like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6

1 neck+ neck+ -- neck+ neck+ neck-
                2 neck- neck- -- neck- neck- neck+
                3 -- bridge+ bridge+ bridge+ bridge- bridge+
                4 -- bridge- bridge- -- bridge+ bridge-

Well, something like this anyway. In any case, once you go series, you will only have one output. If you want to use your two vol/tone pots then you have to have them in your circuit before the Select-O-Matic, but then you'd have to mod that to allow for two outs to go to the rotary. As I remember Dan-O two vol/tone pots let for only one out put from the two sets. Hmm, Lomd of a catch-22 I suppose.

I am certainly not an expert, but I hope this helps.

God Bless,

gswallow <><

Comment

My select o matic switch is bad. I need one that has no play between 1-6 past 6. No sound.

iīve recently instaled a danelectro select-o-matic switch on my 90īs reissue u2, so now i have neck/neck+bridge paralel/bridge/neck+bridge series/ neck+bridge paralel out of phase/neck+bridge series out of phase. No matter how hard i tried, i ended up with only one volume and one tone pots. Does anybody know how to maintain the two volume and two tone controls? Based on all the research iīve made, it seems impossible to have a rotary switch with two volume and two tone pots...

Because there isnīt any information on the select-o-matic 6-way 4-pole switch, hereīs how it works:

Pole 1 -- c 1 2 3 4 5 6

pole 2 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 c

pole 3 -- c 1 2 3 4 5 6

pole 4 -- 1 2 3 4 5 6 c

you know where to get the select o matic switch ? Or a wire diagram to use a 6 poistion pot rotary switch ?
                  EMAIL ME, dragonfirekepr@msn.com. thanks.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend leaving your email here in public view. The spambots will have your mailbox full of spam in no time.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                    X