Pickup makers on Facebook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup makers on Facebook?

Are any of you guys on Facebook either with a personal account or business account?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
    Are any of you guys on Facebook either with a personal account or business account?
    Yup. as a personal account. search me out and add me as a friend

Comment

I have a personal account, with some pickup and lutherie and music related stuff.

David Schwab | Facebook
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        I have a personal account, with some pickup and lutherie and music related stuff.

David Schwab | Facebook
        I hate everything Facebook stands for... once registered, your ass (your personal identity as data) belongs to THEM. Nothing you can do about it.
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

I'm on there under pressure from family. I now have more friends than people I've met. Who the hell are these people ?
          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            I hate everything Facebook stands for... once registered, your ass (your personal identity as data) belongs to THEM. Nothing you can do about it.
            You can always delete your account.

I don't see a problem with it. I've been on there for a few years now. I didn't use it much until my wife and her family got on there, and since then I have reconnected with some long lost close friends!

So I've had nothing but good experiences from it. You don't have to put any more data than you want.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
              I now have more friends than people I've met. Who the hell are these people ?
              People in your network. You had to approve them being a friend, right?

I have a bunch of "friends" on MySpace, most of which I don't know, but since it's a music page, either they like my music, or I like their music, or both.

Comment

Facebook and friends reunited seems to have caused a lot of problems for people I know. Mostly relationship breakdowns and such.
                But what worries me about Facebook is that it's like voluntarily having a photo ID card.
                In the UK, our government wants everyone to have ID cards. I'm dead against this because I was hassled by everyone and his brother in Turkey many years ago for ID. I couldn't even change money in a bank without having to produce my passport.
                I have already found that in this country I get asked for two forms of ID; one a photo ID and the other proof of address, just to collect a parcel.
                A few weeks ago when I shipped in a mile of Gibson braid, I was astonished to find that I now had to apply for a TURN number and supply photo ID before I could bring the stuff in. I never had to do that before and I couldn't produce a photo driving license ( I still have the old paper one from the last century ), or a passport ( I don't look like that photo any more ). So my application was rejected.
                So yeah, I'm not happy with things like Facebook because (although I would like to use it ) I don't want the Government making notes about me and having all the latest on me and my photo on the web. Oh, and believe me, they are making notes about everyone in the UK and it's almost impossible to go anywhere and not be caught on CCTV cameras in Britain.
                The frightening thing is that these cameras are being hooked up to face recognition software. This just doesn't catch crooks who wear balaclavas. It's just there so the various government departments know where we are at all times.
                Shame. I've got nothing to hide at all. I just don't want the intrusion.
                sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I can absolutely understand where you are coming from. The UK is the most filmed nation in the world. I'm blown away by how much Big Brother is watching you at any given point. I have nothing to hide, but I also dont like being recorded. My problem with it is that it creates a permanent searchable record of your actions, and you may be un-wittingly doing something that is going to come back and bite you in the butt 5 years from now, and have no way to reverse it. I keep facebook limited to stupid comments about common items and very basic comments among friends.

Comment

You need two forms of ID here too for many things.

You know on Facebook you don't have to post a photo, and you can have your profile private unless you add someone as a friend.

I use my real name here for the same reason I have a Facebook and MySpace account, and that's for people to find me.

If a relationship breaks up over Facebook, it wasn't a solid relationship to start with. There sure aren't any women that I knew from my past that I'd be interested in now anyway.

I thought the whole thing was dumb, but as I said I have linked back up with some friends that I have been looking for, so that's not so bad. But I guess it's like people and their cell phones. I don't walk around talking on the phone... I don't see why people do that, but I guess some people have a need to be connected all the time.

There are a few websites here that you can look people up and find everything about them. I forget the URLs, but it was kind of spooky. It's also weird that in Google Earth, not only can I see our house, but I see our car parked in the driveway! Then they have that street view stuff where you can see that someone drove up the street with the camera taking pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      You can always delete your account
                      If you say so, it means you didn't actually tried to do it.
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

I have a Facebook account, but only so my name is reserved. I don't bother with it, because Myspace is where the musicians are anyway.

David, what you might need is a 'decoy' address so people who GE you aren't tempted to find you and break into your factory. I had a few attempts at my store myself over the years, and I used to get nervous every time somebody came in and started asking too many questions. Paranoid, maybe... but at least
                        I know my work is safe.

Ken
                        www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                          Yeah... both of them....

personal...
                          mickmutante | Facebook

corporate...
                          Facebook : mm basses
                          jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
                          mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
                          mm basses

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                            I don't bother with it, because Myspace is where the musicians are anyway.
                            I agree!

David, what you might need is a 'decoy' address so people who GE you aren't tempted to find you and break into your factory.
                            I have a PO Box. I don't list my address or phone number, and my domain registration info is hidden.

I don't have a factory though...

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                              Facebook and friends reunited seems to have caused a lot of problems for people I know. Mostly relationship breakdowns and such.
                              But what worries me about Facebook is that it's like voluntarily having a photo ID card.
                              In the UK, our government wants everyone to have ID cards. I'm dead against this because I was hassled by everyone and his brother in Turkey many years ago for ID. I couldn't even change money in a bank without having to produce my passport.
                              I have already found that in this country I get asked for two forms of ID; one a photo ID and the other proof of address, just to collect a parcel.
                              A few weeks ago when I shipped in a mile of Gibson braid, I was astonished to find that I now had to apply for a TURN number and supply photo ID before I could bring the stuff in. I never had to do that before and I couldn't produce a photo driving license ( I still have the old paper one from the last century ), or a passport ( I don't look like that photo any more ). So my application was rejected.
                              So yeah, I'm not happy with things like Facebook because (although I would like to use it ) I don't want the Government making notes about me and having all the latest on me and my photo on the web. Oh, and believe me, they are making notes about everyone in the UK and it's almost impossible to go anywhere and not be caught on CCTV cameras in Britain.
                              The frightening thing is that these cameras are being hooked up to face recognition software. This just doesn't catch crooks who wear balaclavas. It's just there so the various government departments know where we are at all times.
                              Shame. I've got nothing to hide at all. I just don't want the intrusion.
                              I agree with spence, I hate the notion that big brother is always watching. In fact, one of my coworkers said that she got a traffic ticket for expired tags recently. Guess how they found out?....She was sitting at a traffic light and one of those camera's that we all see now mounted on the traffic light poles spotted her tag. There was a police officer a few cars in back of her and he pulled her over and said that the camera caught her by running her tag through the computer and sending a notice out to the officer...who probably had GPS software that indicated that a person with expired tags was in front of him...

It's really quite scary. I guess it's like face recognition software instead its license plate recognition where they run your tags through the computers to see where you are.

It's bad for the crooks because they can catch them faster and prevent more crime from happening. However, it's bad for us because it's an intrusion into our privacy.
                              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Working...
                              X