Fender Twin Reverb tone problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb tone problem

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to amps or electronics, so maybe you can offer me a bit of wisdom!

I've got a Twin Reverb Silverface, not exactly sure what year it is but definitely post-1972. I've had it for 3 years and tend to use it as a clean, warm base for loud, overdriven sounds. I use a several pedals but they are basically all just different levels of boost and distortion. I play dark intense rock/post punk.

The problem- I've been having some issues with the amp being too 'live', and with the fullness of the tone. I recently had the amp serviced by a guy in London who was recommended to me, and although I did have some of these problems before they seem to be more obvious now. While the amp was being serviced I was lent a Super Twin and although that amp had a few drawbacks, like only 1 channel and no master volume control, I preferred the sound I got with it. It seemed fuller, deeper, richer and less live, ie producing less squeals and nasty feedback when pedals are engaged. The clean sound was warmer and altogether sweeter too.

I guess what I am asking is, does it sound to you like I just like the Super Twin sound better than my own amp's, or could this be an issue within mine.
    I use a Fender Jaguar most of the time and it does seem to be a bit worse with this guitar than the Fender Tele I also use sometimes.

Sorry if my question is a bit unclear. I really don't know a huge amount about tube amps, any suggestions would be great! I am open to ideas re modding, speaker replacement, valve changes etc although have just had a whole new set put it.

Thanks!

That's a kind of problem that doesn't fit squarely in the Real or Perceived categories....Is this a recent problem, or has it always been a little problematic? It's the type of thing that may best be worked on with a tech when you have it in the shop. Failing that, you have new tubes, it wouldn't cost anything to borrow speakers to try something new. I live very close to Savage amps and they let you test drive speakers. Maybe you have a friend with extra speakers, or you can swap from another amp? It could be that you found something you like better in the borrowed amp? The quest for Tone can be a real stinker. If it were easy, anyone could do it :-) I'm only suggesting that if you play with a lot of boost and distortion as you indicated, your symptoms may represent the trouble you got yourself into. I happens to all of us...
    Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
    Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

OK..Here's the trip about Silverface Twins. They're like a cross between a Lear Jet and an ice pick. Extremely clean, loud, and bright. They are chosen for that reason. Unless you are playing very large venues you are just wearing out your back. If you are only using the amp volume on 2 or 3 it will be flat and tinny. The sweet spot is well over halfway up. A lot of what you are complaining about might be because of this. If you cannot open the amp up at gigs (and you won't unless you are playing arenas) I would advise you to try a smaller amp like a Delux Reverb. There may be nothing wrong with the amp except the way you are using it, but you you could also have a low end rolloff because of aging electrolytic caps. And...of course, a combination of both to some degree. Hard to tell without looking at the amp.

Comment

My buddy has got a SF twin, and the stock speakers are not very good - quiet and thin. As he's skint and doesn't need to play loud, they haven't got replaced yet. Like GibsonLover says, try it through a different speaker cab.
        Good speakers for your music would be Celestion Vintage 30 or Eminence Wizard.
        Look for at least 60 watts power handling per speaker, and at least 100dB/watt efficiency. Peter.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. Olddawg, that is a good point about the volume levels... I rarely get a chance to crank the amp above 4 or 5, especially not in rehearsals. I'll try pushing it right up tomorrow to see if that helps. I don't really want to get rid of the amp right now as it is a classic and I got it for a great price... can't afford to buy another of a similar standard without selling this one. Maybe I'll just turn it to face the wall in gigs and rehearsals... no, I ain't playing arenas yet but that is of course the idea eventually!

What are people's thoughts on Power Brakes and the like?

As far as I am aware the speakers are just the stock ones, but I have been recommended Celestion 30's in the past so maybe I could investigate...

It's still a good sounding amp though... heavy, loud as f***. I have wondered if I am trying for a sound I'll never really be able to achieve with the equipment I have got (Twin, single coil fenders). Maybe using Marshall/Orange and a guitar with humbuckers would get me there quicker and easier but I have to say I like the sound that I have built up so far, it certainly doesn't come across as stock or off-the-shelf! Just want it a bit fuller with less uncontrollable feedback.

Thanks everybody for your input, it is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by shotgunvenus View Post
            Thanks everyone for your help. Olddawg, that is a good point about the volume levels... I rarely get a chance to crank the amp above 4 or 5, especially not in rehearsals. I'll try pushing it right up tomorrow to see if that helps. I don't really want to get rid of the amp right now as it is a classic and I got it for a great price... can't afford to buy another of a similar standard without selling this one. Maybe I'll just turn it to face the wall in gigs and rehearsals... no, I ain't playing arenas yet but that is of course the idea eventually!

What are people's thoughts on Power Brakes and the like?

As far as I am aware the speakers are just the stock ones, but I have been recommended Celestion 30's in the past so maybe I could investigate...

It's still a good sounding amp though... heavy, loud as f***. I have wondered if I am trying for a sound I'll never really be able to achieve with the equipment I have got (Twin, single coil fenders). Maybe using Marshall/Orange and a guitar with humbuckers would get me there quicker and easier but I have to say I like the sound that I have built up so far, it certainly doesn't come across as stock or off-the-shelf! Just want it a bit fuller with less uncontrollable feedback.

Thanks everybody for your input, it is appreciated.
            People can and do use power brakes with TRs all of the time. I am not a fan of putting Celestians in most Fenders. You don't get a TR for that sound. The stock Jensens or CTS in it should be broken in and fine unless they are defective. When I was a kid starting out I had a '71 Silverface TR. I used to put Utahs in it to try to make it break up more. I finally sold it and got a couple of 50 watt Hiwatt half stacks. They were still too clean and I got rid of them after a while for 50 watt Marshalls. Back then I played a lot of large outdoor shows. Now I use an 18 watt Marshall clone I built through a 1965A 4X10 cab for the clubs I play. With my pedal board I can get just about whatever tone I want without peeling the paint off of the walls. BTW, your feedback problem.....Are you sure that your Strat pickups aren't going microphonic? I have an overwound botique set in mine and use an OD with a dirt box at times and never have a squeel problem even with the amp dimed.

Comment

Working...
            X