Source for Fender silver piping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Fender silver piping?

Does anybody know where to get that silver piping material that Fender used on some amps in the late 60's and 70's? I have seen that some of the piping is aluminum and some is plastic. Thanks.

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
    Does anybody know where to get that silver piping material that Fender used on some amps in the late 60's and 70's? I have seen that some of the piping is aluminum and some is plastic. Thanks.
    Is that the round string type piping? Because I had the same problem with a National Sportsman amp that I recovered. Where, oh where to get white round piping?

I ended up at a local craft and hobby store and purchased a roll of Tejas Leather Lace, which is round leather string of about the right size. I found you can paint it with Krylon. Then it's a matter of rolling the stuff into the groove with a suitable tool.

Comment

everybody that I knew including me ripped that stuff off and left it off. It served no purpose other than to create annoying rattles. You're better off without it.

Comment

What you're talking about, I believe, is the aluminum trim around the grill of the first iteration of SF amps, from mid-'67 to '69 - popularly know as "drip edge". There is no replacement material made (it's come up for years on amp and guitar forums) and the best workaround is to find some light-gage aluminum or galvanized flashing at a building supply house and make your own. Somewhere (I don't have the link handy) there is a site that shows how to make replacement corners, as those are the parts that seem to get lost - but it has good pics of the whole assembly, which is stapled into place.

Drip-edge SF amps have ben steadily increasing in price over the last few years as more players find the earlier ones are BF amps electronically - "tearing it off" is not exactly great advice, since all you will accomplish is to devalue your amp by a few hundred bucks. I've NEVER heard a rattle on one, and I've serviced dozens. And if it did rattle, it doesn't take a Mensa candidate to figure out that fixing the rattle might make a bit more sense than tearing irreplaceable parts off a vintage amp.

It's like saying your tweed snags the hem of your leisure suit when you wear it, so you're gonna strip the tweed off....

Comment

sorry to create a negative vibe there mr. silverface. I had a bassman cabinet with two 15" JBL D140F's in it, new in 1968. The cab had the silver trim It for lack of a better term, created a noise I shall not heretofore call "rattling", but more along the lines of It made a noise so I took it off and didn't miss it.

Comment

Boy, things change. We didn't care about the trim in '69, now I'm sorry I peeled it off that old Super Reverb back then.

AxtMan; how much do you need? Laying around in my 'amp shed' I still have the front panel of a '69 Showman head with the four small trim strips attached and the old grillcloth. I'm probably keeping it to Ebay off the thing some day.

Comment

Working...
            X