Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '67 Deluxe Reverb amp noises

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum, I have a 67 FDR that I purchased back in 82. As far as I know it is origional except, Clestion G12 - 80, new baffel, NOS grill cloth and a replaced volumn knob. I have also replaced the power tubes last year but kept the old RCA's. The reason that I replaced the power tubes was that I was getting a volumn drop / increase from time to time. The tubes seamed to take care of the problem for a while but it is doing it again. The second problem is that the reverb & tremelo do not always workbut if I tip the amp over and then upright again they work. Another anoying issue is that sometimes its noisy, pops, static and other times it is quiet and sounds increadible. Although I have little experience with tube amps, I am pretty handy with a soder iron. I am thinking that the caps need to be replaced and am considering doing this myself. Is there something else that I should be looking at doing also? Also I love this amp and want to so it right, can you also reccommend a good source for the parts? I live in Massachuetts.

First thing I'd do is to change the preamp tubes. The noises you described are mostly due to old/failing preamp tubes. The volume drop/increase might be the phase inverter tube (have had that in one of my amps too). Also your tube sockets might need a cleaning job. Pulling out and pushing tubes in several times (or gently rock them) might work as well. Although the amp is quite old and probably need a cap job I'd do that only if the amp does hum more than before.
    If you're looking for tubes sounding like the old stuff you might wanna read the reviews at thetubestore.com.

Comment

What txstrat said. Plus, (and I own the same year DR as you, they're nice!) the first thing I did when I got mine home from the pawn shop was pull the chassis, blow it out with compressed air, cleaned and retensioned all the tube sockets, and cleaned the pots. I think the key to your problem is a loose/dirty tube socket. Hopefully you saved your old tubes. They may still be good. Anyway, do that or have it done professionally. Although you may have a bad phase inverter tube, I think that it's probably a socket. After all, those tubes were probably installed 42 years ago and never pulled out!
      Good luck.
      Thermionic vacuum devices rule.

Comment

Welcome to the place GR!

Originally posted by guitaripper View Post
        I was getting a volumn drop / increase from time to time. The tubes seamed to take care of the problem for a while but it is doing it again.
        It could be that you need new tubes again, but from the description of your problems I think you need to do a complete 20,000 mile check up.
        The second problem is that the reverb & tremelo do not always workbut if I tip the amp over and then upright again they work. Another anoying issue is that sometimes its noisy, pops, static and other times it is quiet and sounds increadible.
        These are all signs of loose connections, dirty tube sockets, aging parts, etc. I'd pull the chassis and go through the entire amp, checking for any cold solder joints, broken off parts, loose wires, dirty contacts, etc. Clean out the entire chassis with a vacuum. Spray clean the pots, jacks, switches and tube sockets with a high quality cleaner like DeOxit.

Next put everything back together and get a copy of the schematic and go through the amp and compare voltage readings to give you a sense of the overall condition of the amp. If any readings are way out of spec investigate the cause and repair it.

If you want to replace all of the electrolytics, then order up a set and replace them. When replacing caps, be sure to check the voltage and capacitance ratings as well as the polarity. When you're doing the check-up, you can always sign in here and ask any questions that you might have as you do the work.

...can you also reccommend a good source for the parts? I live in Massachuetts.
        I'm sure that there are suppliers for electronic parts in your area. I myself order on-line from the large supply houses like Mouser, Digi-Key, Allied, etc. You may also want to check out some of the board advertisers like Antique Electronics, or Triode.

Hope this helps.

Comment

many thanks to all for your help.

Thanks everyone for all your help, it is appreaiated.

I will let you know how I make out.

Comment

Success!!!!

Hi all,

Just a note to let you know how I made out. I pulled each tube, sprayed contact cleaner on each socket, replaced the tubes and NIRVANA!!!!!!
            All problems are gone. it's quiet and no volume increase/decrease! I am amazed at how incredible this amp sounds!!! I am greatful to all for such great advice. I will replace the caps someday but for now I'm good.

Thanks again.

Comment

COOL! I'm glad you're up and running, man! Yeah, all of my vintage amps, 25 years and older, ALL of them, have had issues with tube sockets. The tubes were installed, and never pulled in all those years. It just makes sense that the little spring-tensioned connectors in the sockets develop less than ideal contact over the years. A lot of times just pulling the tube and reinserting it several times cures the problem.
              Now go enjoy that thing!
              Thermionic vacuum devices rule.

Comment

Working...
              X