Threaded magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded magnets

Maybe a few others got this email too, but I thought it was interesting so I figured I'd post it here.

Sens Mag now has "threaded guitar magnets".

They don't give any other details.

Magnet Manufacturer
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Which ones are threaded? I didn't see any CuNiFe mags listed on their page like the fender thinline used.
    Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Maybe a few others got this email too, but I thought it was interesting so I figured I'd post it here.

Sens Mag now has "threaded guitar magnets".

They don't give any other details.

Magnet Manufacturer
      I just ordered a bunch magnets from sens and they're including some samples of the threaded mags for me. They are making them in A2 and A5.

Pretty cool idea I think. Im going to have some fun with it and make a single coil in a firebird pickup cover (drilled) that can be raised and lowered like a humbucker. I'm making a mini guitar for my boy and though this would be a good place to test it

Comment

Thanks for sharing this David.

Maybe I'm stupid but I cannot find them listed on their web page! Anyhow this comes in with perfect timing. I just got the request to rebuild a Fender WRHB reissue and threaded A2 rods would be perfect for that IMO as they are quite close to CuNiFe in magnets strength (according to one source on the net, can anyone confirm that?)

@Belwar (as you have them in your hand) What are the dimensions of those magnets? And did they mention a price?

EDIT: Well as I was just about to order from Sensmag I placed an order for 60 A2 and 60 A5 threaded mangets. I'm thrilled to se how they work out in a WRHB assembly.

EDIT 2: Another cool idea: Take one of those cheepo Tele (MIM, cast bobbin, or a strat one) bridge plastic bobbins, remove wire, ceramic bar magnet and steel rod poles, Rewind and put in those threaded A5 poles. A Tele bride pickup with adjustable poles!
        Last edited by Peter Naglitsch; 07-23-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I contacted Sensmag and the threaded magnet specs are:
          10-32 thread x 0.625"length or 10-24 thread x 0.420" length A2 or A5 magnets. Price starts at a buck each

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
            EDIT 2: Another cool idea: Take one of those cheepo Tele (MIM, cast bobbin, or a strat one) bridge plastic bobbins, remove wire, ceramic bar magnet and steel rod poles, Rewind and put in those threaded A5 poles. A Tele bride pickup with adjustable poles!
            That's the same thought I had, or the plastic Strat bobbins.

Or even humbuckers.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

They must have been reading this forum! Threaded magnets to those specs sound like an excellent idea. I can think of a lot of applications in oddball custom pickups. The price is certainly reasonable for the advantages.

Comment

This is good stuff but I'd love to know how they've done it in AlNiCo.
                Belwar, did they tel you ?
                sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Looks like a cut thread rather than cast or rolled Bruv. But it is machineable and it would be nice to know. Better stick a bit in the lathe this arternoon and see how many tools I can break.

Comment

Great idea, must get the threader out and have a go.
                    Found this on a site-------------

This is a patent pending mod by Telenator. We have several pickup models in development using this patent pending threaded magnet technology.

.......and they said you couldn't thread an alnico magnet. pffffff!

Comment

Alnico can not be threaded by conventional means, the threads must be ground which is expensive to say the least.

I can see using these magnets in special situations but for traditional pickups this is more of a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

They're probably just CNC grinding the threads. The threads are 10-32 and 10-24, so, there isn't much material being removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alabam View Post
                          This is a patent pending mod by Telenator. We have several pickup models in development using this patent pending threaded magnet technology.
                          Now in this thread he says:

So to fully answer the question, no, we did not use threaded rod as alnico has this nasty habit of shattering when you try to machine it. Besides, the cost to produce these retro-fits is very high already. Adding yet another process to the works would put it out of site. The magnets you see in the photos have been hand ground to look like screws and give an authentic appearance.
                          So, are they threaded or not?

Read some of the stuff in there. I found it amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post

So, are they threaded or not?
                            Read some of the stuff in there. I found it amusing.
                            Yes, some of the guys replying to him seem to have been sucking on grains of salt.
                            I still can`t figure out how he does it, probably have to wait until the Patent Pending is over.
                            I checked the Telenator site. looks cool with some great sounding sound clips.
                            This thread is from him on the Seymour Duncan forum.

"Well, if you try to thread an alnico magnet, they shatter. They're extremely hard. That's why no one makes pickups with threaded magnets. They're almost impossible to machine.
                            I have come up with a cost effective alnico threaded magnet and if my thoughts are correct, it will hvae a major impact on musical instrument pickups.

Steel screws used in typical humbuckers and P90s are very ineffective in shaping tone because they're not magnets. They merely help to distribute the magnetic field produced by the bar magnet sitting under the coils.

Threaded magnet poles are far more effective and have the inherent property of tighter, punchier lows. They really sound terrific! "

Comment

I wonder two things myself...

1) Is 'telenator' actually able to patent using threaded pickup magnets in his pickups? Seems to me Fender can claim 'prior art' with their own use of threaded magnets in their own humbuckers.

2) How happy would the Sens people be if they found out that telenator was the only people actually buying their magnets due to a claimed patent?

Just curious,
                              ken
                              www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X