Unused 5v PT winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unused 5v PT winding

What should I do with the unused 5v winding on a PT I will be using in a project? None of the tubes will need a filament voltage of 5V.

Thanks

If the winding has cables I'd tape them up and fix 'em somewhere with a cable tie. If there are no cables - don't mind the winding.

Comment

Just leave the circuit open, cut the ends off heat shrink em and tie them back?

Comment

Sort of, yes. You don't need to cut off the ends - you might wanna use the winding later (for a different project).

Comment

I hope he meant cut off the exposed ends - the stripped little bit at the ends.

Secure the wires and protect the ends - that's all. I prefer to solder them to empty terminal strip lugs myself.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yea, I just meant cut off the exposed ends of the wires.

Comment

5vdc relays? An awesome LED lightshow?

50 of these:
              FLASHING RED, GREEN, BLUE LED | AllElectronics.com

Comment

Voltage doubler and a 9v regulator to power your stomp boxes?
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

How about a doubler and regulators to pwr op amps for active EQ?
                  The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

In one of his books, Tonnes of Tone, Kevin O'Connor uses the 5V winding to make an unregulated 6VDC power supply for preamp tubes. Real simple, 4 diodes and a cap, 2200uF if IRC.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                      Voltage doubler and a 9v regulator to power your stomp boxes?
                      Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                      5vdc relays? An awesome LED lightshow?
                      you could put the led's behind the tubes so that they make the amp look as if the tubes are actually doing something. (I swear I remember seeing something like this on a Crate Blue Doodoo or a similar amp?)

I like both of your ideas better than mine:

remove the bell of the xformer, cut the leads way up in that and then seal them individually with heashrink. Looks clean, and keeps them out of harms way.

Comment

Originally posted by crisisat22 View Post
                        you could put the led's behind the tubes so that they make the amp look as if the tubes are actually doing something. (I swear I remember seeing something like this on a Crate Blue Doodoo or a similar amp?)

Yes Crate does this, as does Engl, and some others...as with most things, PV did it first with their Ultra. I get nice (cheap, $1.50) ceramic sockets which have a through hole that fits a 3mm LED perfectly, which I'll use; not as visible as behind the tube but cleaner

Comment

LED's

Are there really any 5v LED's? I thought the 5v rating was the max forward voltage for the LED. I like the LED idea as well as using an LED for the power indicator. I saw one thread on another forum about a guy that used a red/green LED to indicate then the mains were on and when the standby was on. Sounds like an interesting application for the 5V winding.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockn View Post
                            Are there really any 5v LED's? I thought the 5v rating was the max forward voltage for the LED. I like the LED idea as well as using an LED for the power indicator. I saw one thread on another forum about a guy that used a red/green LED to indicate then the mains were on and when the standby was on. Sounds like an interesting application for the 5V winding.
                            There are LEDs with built in series resistors to run on 5v, but people usually add there own series resistors, see herehttp://www.csgnetwork.com/ledsingresistancecalc.html
                            LED series parallel array wizard

LEDs do have a variety of forward voltages:
                            1.8->4.5v, see:
                            Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
                            on AC you only get 1/2 cycle, but its usually AOK

Comment

5v LED

Would putting a bridge rectifier in there work? Not sure what the voltage would be out of the bridge. Maybe I will use the Duncan PS designer to see what it will look like.

Comment

Working...
                              X