No announcement yet.

Yet another post about Cathode Caps!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See... It's all subjective idn't it?!? I don't like 4.7uf with a 1.5k cathode R because it makes my open A louder than my open E with my guitar. So it starts to become a matter of personal taste AND the individual amp. I like tedmich's decade dip doodad. Good idea.

Remember I mentioned that the charts don't seem (to me) to represent what I hear... Well I gave that some thought and realized that the -3db point for different value caps in this application represents half the db increase. So I guess it becomes relative. I hear the effect of different preamp bypass caps closer to their peak frequency or maybe at -1db or so. Pop a 1uf across a cathode R and I dont hear +3db at 150hz. But I sure do hear +5.5db at 1khz. Just sayin'

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Context matters to everything.

Just because the bottom end response of one triode stage rolls off at 5 Hz instead of 20Hz instead of 50Hz doesn;t mean that any signal in that freq range was getting to the stage in the first place. Shark repellent doesn;t do you much good in Denver, no matter how effective the stuff is. it also doesn't mean that any bottom end stuff will make it out of the stage either. That 20Hz will have a tough time making it through a 500pf cap into the PI stage of a Fender.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X