X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT rectifier centre as B+

Hi all,

Looking for some help and assistance.

I'm building a 5E3 (yeah another one of us) and intended using my power transformer rectifier centre tap as my B+ supply. If I do this and want to try a plug in solid state rectifier instead of my 5Y3, I'm assuming that it won't work, is that right? My PT is a 300-0-300

Please all your help and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers guys

Phil

I don't get what you mean. Could you post a sketch or schematic?
    There are ways to substitute a tube recto with a diode rectifier such as the Weber copper cap.

Comment

Sorry I haven't got a schematic. I wanted to use the rectifier CT for the B+ to the OT and first filter cap. That will work, but if I then plug in one of the Sovtek plug in solid state rectifiers will that be wired for the heaters and hence the rectifier CT give no output - that's a mouthful I understand if that's not clear again!!

Phil

Comment

I think we use different terms (abbreviations) for things.
        The rectifier has no Center Tap (CT), the Power Transformer (PT) has. The CT of the PT goes to ground. The other ends of this winding go to the rectifier tubes anodes.
        The 5v winding (no CT) feeds the cathodes/filament of the recto tube and serves as your B+ (only with a rectifier tube plugged in).
        Heres a schematic:
        http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende..._5e3_schem.pdf
        I don't see a way (other than sort of a copper cap) to plug a diode rectifier into the tube socket of the rectifier tube.

Comment

Do you mean that you have a Hammond PT and will be connecting the rectifier heater CT to the B+?

You could try GZ34 or 5V4 rectifiers and see how you go with those before the SS?

Alternatively use a regular BF Deluxe PT & a 330ohm cathode resistor.

Converting to fixed bias (or switching between cathode & fixed) might be a better way to tighten up the sound with an otherwise stock amp?

Comment

Thanks txstrat,

My power transformer has a rectifier supply (5v) centre tap and I'm told this can be used as my B+ rail and is better than off the rectifier. Just wanted to know, will these plug in rectifiers work wire as I suggest?

Comment

That's it MWJB,

Yeah I had thought about alternative valve/tube rectifiers just was considering the plug-in solid state types before I wire it up!

Phil

Comment

I don't know the exact circuit in these but they simulate a rectifier tube.
                You could also wire your tube socket up with diodes/resistor in parallel to the tube. That would leave you with a diode rectifier when when the tube is pulled and a mix of both when the tube is in. Don't have the schematic around.

Comment

I'd love to see that schematic if you can find it TXSTRAT or anyone else if they have it!

Thanks TXSTRAT and MWJB for you help with this so far, you guy's never fail!

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Soldering diodes to the socket won't work. Because they rectify so much more efficiently than a tube, they'll always do all the work and your rectifier tube will just be there for looks.

All rectifier tubes (except for little dinky ones like the EZ80 and 6X5) have the heater pins connected to the cathodes. So, a Copper Cap will work. Depending on how it's wired, the B+ current might flow through only one side of your heater winding, but I don't see that being a problem. (it would also happen with a GZ34 or similar indirectly heated tube)
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for your help with this too Steve.

I think I'll probably wire for the B+ off the rectifier supply centre tap, start with a 5Y3GT with my Hammond 300-0-300 power transformer and see what the voltages are like as it's rated at 100mA. Then if I fancy a change and maybe increasing the B+ I'll try a different valve rectifier as indicated by MWJB.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                        Soldering diodes to the socket won't work. Because they rectify so much more efficiently than a tube, they'll always do all the work and your rectifier tube will just be there for looks.
                        When you put a resistor (sort of 250 ohms @ 10w) in series after the diodes, woudn't that share the load between the diodes and the tube?
                        I'm asking, cause I read about this sort of mixed rectifier in Gerald Weber's book.

Comment

Additionally to this would using the rectifier supply CT as the B+ on a 300-0-300V output power transformer mean that you actual get nearer 302.5V?

Sorry for so many questions, it just occurred to me?

Phil

Comment

It's not really relevant, whether it does or not. Once that 300, or 302.5VAC is rectified, you then get a multiplication factor for the dc produced, based on the rectifier type...

5Y3 = 1.1
                            5V4 = 1.26
                            5AR4/GZ34 =1.3
                            SS = 1.41

...then you lose whatever voltage drop is caused by the current load on the B+ & 6.3VAC heater supply. As a 5E3 is cathode biased and runs relatively high idle currents, compared to fixed bias, you probably won't get voltages as high as the multiplier suggests, and +/-2.5VAC is such a small increment in the grand scheme of things it's not worth thinking about (your wall AC probably fluctuates by more than that).

Comment

It depends on which way round you wire it, one way it'll add to the B+, the other way it'll subtract. Probably not as much as 2.5V either, because the voltage is distributed along the length of the filament. I bet you wouldn't notice the difference, either way.

The rectified B+ is 1.4 times the transformer AC voltage with silicon diodes, so 420V. A tube rectifier knocks a fair amount off that, depending on how much current the load draws. It could end up around 350-370V. But not 302.5...
                              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                              X