Help, I never used ALNICO before...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I never used ALNICO before...

I've been making my own pickups since I was a kid, I finally broke down that ceramic barrier and decided to use ALNICO once... I understand the concept of charging them but, they seem to already be charged, whats more, there is a slight bevel on only 1 end, so if I even attempt to recharge them, to make sure they are at least evenly charged, do I have to match the polarity already on them, or will recharging them change the polarity to the way I recharge them... basic stuff for some of you guys I'm sure, but hey, I only make my own... because I think it's fun to sit up alone all night under a single bright light, winding and counting. But any advice would be great, thanks guys.

Some come charged already and some need to be charged by you. Either way I like to charge them just to make sure that they are full. I also like the charge strat/tele mags after the pickup is finished and that way you don't get small metal fibers from your workbench sticking to the inside of the coil where they could cause a short if you don't remove them before winding.

And yes, it should be possible to reverse the polarity if you so desire (Although I always try to use uncharged mags), but you shouldn't need to if you get the cheap $5 polarity tester from stewmac and install them all into the flatwork in the same direction...I'm guessing that if your magnets are beveled and already charged then the bevel should all go in the same direction and you will be fine.

Comment

Thanks..

Yeah, I am winding 1st, thanks alot too, mostly just nervous, call it 1st time jitters, about the ALNICO as I am pretty stoked about how they're gonna sound, I am making the jump from my heavy metal era, to my mature era, as far as my sound goes.

Comment

Some alnicos can not be reversed.. A5 isnt because the magnetic direction is set in the manufacturing process. Isotropic Alnico can be charged in any direction, but others such Alnico 5 cannot. I believe its called ansiotropic or something like that.

It basically means that during the casting process (while the metal is still soft) that the magnet is exposed to a strong magnetic field. This aligns in the magnet in a particular direction. Magnets that are not exposed to this field are called isotropic.

A few makers on this forum dable in obtaining isotropic versions of normally ansiotropic magnets but the cost is quite high.

b

Comment

All the alnicos can be reverse charged, alnico 5 even though its a directional material you can charge at 90 degree angle, so for instance you can charge a humbucker magnet on the long axis, end to end, but you can't charge it through the axis, or the width. Most of the other alnicos can be charged in any direction, though not sure about 8. You might like 8 because it holds a charge about the same strength as alot of ceramics. Alnico is going to give you a much darker sound, so winding a 13K pickup isn't going to work as well as ceramics. There's nothing wrong with ceramics if used right, I use them in some blade pickups and get great tones, just depends on the application.
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Thanks guys...

It's great to hear the knowledge here, saves me alot of precious dollars of experimentation, you guys would prob. cringe at this, but I've even gotten into the habit of using those plastic strat bobbins, but I will add that I shave quite a bit off the inside of the bobbin, where the wire goes, another plus is that if I wind it and dont like the ALNICO, I can easily pull them out and slap in some slugs and put a ceramic behind it... but the knowledge here is the kind of stuff I never dreamed of, I give a respectful bow to the dedication, this forum is some of the best reading I've ever seen.

Comment

You can thank Tboy for hosting this pickup site here at Ampage. He helped us out about 7-8 years ago when the previous location was going away and its found a home here. I'm sure he loves donations too! I'd give one myself but I'm unemployed still.......

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by shane1b4u View Post
                It's great to hear the knowledge here, saves me alot of precious dollars of experimentation, .
                Oh, you're still going to waste stupid amounts of money experimenting It's the nature of the beast.

667 Neighbor of the Beast
                www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I wont spend alot of money...

I am now 42 and worked myself into having a heart attack 2 1/2 years ago, money's been tight since then... the wife just doesn't seem to be able to make as much as I did, and it's an ongoing battle to get disability... but a donation may come at tax time, I know I would like to see this forum continue on. You guys seem to have a nice little, well mannered family here... I like it !

Comment

....You guys seem to have a nice little, well mannered family here... I like it !....
                    Muahahahahahaaaaaa ... just wait!
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

You guys seem to have a nice little, well mannered family here...
                      "Seem to" being the key word here.

Just wait and see...

J/K
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                      X