silly question about standby switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly question about standby switch

I'm a little confused because I need a standby switch on a 500V DC and I never found ratings in the sites when I search for switches. I understand that the question is avoid arching. Most of the switch I can found are rated 5A @ 250V AC. I own an on-off switch 5A@250VAC and the poles are 5mm apart.
    Is it suitable to break my 500V?
    Please stop me before I destroy my amp

V.
    Happy to share

On Circuits - Standby Switch Ratings
    it says that "In standby switch applications (not necessarily in other DC switching applications), you can generally count on the switch being able to
    handle DC voltage to at least twice the rated AC voltage."

Coul someone agree with this?

Thank you, V.
    Happy to share

Comment

Originally posted by vince76 View Post
      On Circuits - Standby Switch Ratings
      it says that "In standby switch applications (not necessarily in other DC switching applications), you can generally count on the switch being able to
      handle DC voltage to at least twice the rated AC voltage."

Coul someone agree with this?

Thank you, V.
      I don't know where they got the AC to DC conversion ratio but to reply your question: the Fender originals are made by Carling, rated at 250V 3A. A quick search will render many results.

The arcing is the only problem here, as you'll have excess current/power handling capability by that switch. Good brand switches as Switchcraft and Carling will do the trick and provide years and years of service.
      Valvulados

Comment

If its a double pole switch and you parallel the contacts the rating of the switch is doubled

Comment

The thing to remember here is that even though there may be 500 Vdc on the switch, there is very little current being drawn through the contacts. Depending upon the circuit involved I'd guess less than 1/2 amp.

As jmaf noted, for a hundred years Fender used the same Carling switch that they used for the main ac switch. Use any high quality switch rated at 3A or better and you will be fine.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thank you guys, feel more secure.
            I'll go with 250V 5A I own

V
            Happy to share

Comment

Those 250VAC 5A switches are standard for standby switches in lots of amps. I wouldn't be concerned
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
              X