Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question about impedence

hello, first post.

im looking into building a 1x15 bass cab to go along with my 2x10 and Ampeg SVT3, im leaning toward the TL606 i think its called.

My problem is that my 2x10 has a 4 ohm impedence, which means hooking up another 4 ohm, or even 8 ohm is going to leave the impedence at 2 or 2.66 which are both going to ruin my amplifier. even if i get the second cabinet at 16 ohms, the two together will make 3.4 or something like that which is still too low.

My question: is there some way i can hook the speakers up in a different way to make a minimum of 4 ohms total with the three speakers? I might consider taking the bottom off my 2x10 and fuzing it with the 1x15 that i'll build inorder to make one "cabinet" instead of having two.

Thanks a lot, if this has been answered, a link to the thread would be awesome

Open up your 2X10 and rewire it for 16 ohms (assuming it's two 8 ohm speakers). Or better yet, wire up a 4/16 ohm switch and mount it on the cabinet.

Then build your 1X15 at 8 ohms for a total ohm load of 5.3 with both cabs plugged in. This way you can still use either cab seperately too.

Or build a crossover so you can build the 1X15 at 4 ohms and leave the 2X10 at 4 ohms. You will maximize watts this way and improve speaker performance.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I agree with Chuck. Also, don't open up the 2 x 10 and fuse it with the 1 x 15 to make one cabinet. Each driver(s) will be happier in their own enclosure with like speakers (i.e., the 2 x 10 is fine). The box volume and porting parameters of the 10's and 15 are not likely to be similar, therefore they require different enclosures for the best performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Open up your 2X10 and rewire it for 16 ohms (assuming it's two 8 ohm speakers). Or better yet, wire up a 4/16 ohm switch and mount it on the cabinet.

Then build your 1X15 at 8 ohms for a total ohm load of 5.3 with both cabs plugged in. This way you can still use either cab seperately too.

Or build a crossover so you can build the 1X15 at 4 ohms and leave the 2X10 at 4 ohms. You will maximize watts this way and improve speaker performance.

Chuck
        I think i'll be doing the first option, rewiring the two 8 ohm 10" speakers in series to make 16 ohms and then getting an 8 ohm 15" speaker to get 5.3 ohms.

Awesome responce Chuck thanks a lot

Comment

Cool. Glad I could help. There are some other considerations...

With the 2x10 at 16 ohms and the 15 at 8 ohms you will be putting most of your watts into the 15. If this seems OK then there's no other problem with this arrangement.

If you really want to hear the 10's balanced with the 15 you have four options I can think of.

1) buy two more 10's at 4 or 16 ohms and wire the 2x10 for 8 ohms.

2) build a crossover and use a 4 ohm 15, as mentioned earlier.

3) buy another complete 2X10 cabinet, wire it for 16 ohms also and run it parallel to the other 2X10 cabinet with a Y splitter. So you'd have 1X15 and 4X10's

4) use a 16 ohm 15 for a total ohm load of 8. This won't give you as many watts as a 4 ohm (or 5.3 ohm) load though.

Just FYI

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Chuck,
            would you mind explaining to me or pointing me to place that explains how a crossover is built?
            pete

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpete View Post
              would you mind explaining to me or pointing me to place that explains how a crossover is built? pete
              Actually... Yes.

No offence intended, but this is definitely one of those subjects that can be be found with a few Google searches. I know because I have done it myself. Asking me to spoon feed the info to you assumes that your time is more valuable than mine.

I couldn't possibly remember all (or any of) the sites I've seen on the subject. Many relate to car audio, but who cares. Watts are watts.

A crossover is simply a device that employs inductors and capacitors to direct certain frequencies to certain speakers. The fact that you post here is indicative that you could probably figure it out from there. Good search text would be:

"crossover design" (in quotes as shown)
              crossover inductor capacitor
              crossover schematic (both with and without quotes)
              crossover calculator (this is a good one once you've learned some basics)

Good luck and have fun.

Chuck

Comment

You're right Chuck, I should have just looked it up on my own first, before posting that question. Sorry to have bother you.

Regards
                pete

Comment

Working...
                X