Soldering advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering advice

So I'm gonna replace the switch in my 1980 MXR Phase 90. Unfortunately, I've never soldered before. I was wondering if you guys could give my some advice on like what kind and how many watts should my soldering iron be, the kind of solder I should use, any tips, etc. Just looking for anybody to pour some soldering knowledge on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

The basics he covers at the beginning about iron wattage and solder type are solid, and what you'd get if you asked pretty much anyone.
    YouTube - How to Do It: Basic Soldering

This one goes into a little more of the "why", but it's very thorough:
    YouTube - How and WHY to Solder Correctly

And how to use solder wick, which you may need to do when you remove the switch:
    YouTube - How to Solder : How to Use a Solder Wick to Remove Solder

Honestly, when I use de-soldering wick, I skip the preheating of the pad part. Pads are so small that they heat up and cool down fast enough that you're better off letting the wick and pad heat up together because the pad will spend less time at temperature which could cause it to lift.
    -Mike

Comment

I didn't even think about looking on YouTube. Thanks for the input Mike!

Comment

And may I further suggest, go to Radio Shack or online somewhere and buy a simple electronic kit of some sort. Doesn't have to be complicated, one of those little boards that lights up patterns of LEDs or something, or even a little guitar circuit. Use that to get a little practice. if you screw it up, at least it wasn;t your Phase 90. I suspect many electronic repair shops - guitar amp or otherwise - would have a scrap circuit board from something they might give you for nothing. Ask if they have an old scrap board you can have so you can practice soldering. if they have any compassion, they will understand. We all started somewhere.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Like Enzo says. Practice on something a little to get a fell for it first. You don't have to really spend a lot of money on a kit or hunt anything down. Just go to your local thrift store and pick up a cheap old radio, stereo, alarm clock, or vcr and open it up and start de-soldering and soldering. You usually get some pretty decent wire and some cool parts you can use in the future out of them also.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice fellas!!

Comment

Working...
            X