Reverberocket R212R problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverberocket R212R problem

After reading through some of these posts, I realize any answer I get may be above my head, but I'm hoping my dad will be able to cipher for me.

I was recently given an R212R (which I was told works fine). It power on - all the tubes glow, but I get no sound. The fuse is fine (hence the glowing). We traced power all the way to the transformer behind the main circuit board (removed the casing to get to it). We have power going in, but nothing coming out.

I've never even heard a speaker crackle.

Do you think the transformer is bad? Or is there something that can be done to test it? OR... can the output even be tested with a standard volt meter? I was hoping one of you guys would say, "Aww... nah, the problem is blah..."

If it's transformer... is that something I can pick up on e-bay and install myself? It was a gift, so I have very few specs on this thing, although I did pick up a schematic online. Thanks guys for any input.

The power into the output transformer is high voltage DC. The power out of that transformer is only in the tens or teens of volts in AC (which usually reqires a meter adjustment for an accurate read) at much higher current. So don't confuse a low 'output compared to input' volts read as a dead transformer. Certainly NO output AC is a bad sign. Also...

If it's the speaker that is the problem you may have (or could yet) damage the output transformer while testing. Make sure the amp is plugged into a known good speaker of the correct ohmage before continuing. At that point, if you get zero volts AC at the speaker with the amp set to play, I would suspect the output transformer, If that's where the signal chain seems to end. By your testing method it could still be the output tubes.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck. That makes sense - we'll double check the output tubes. This thing has two 12" speakers in it and I'm thinking they're okay, but I guess I haven't proven that yet.

Comment

Working...
      X