Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5G9 Advice please

Hi Gentlemen

I wish to have a 5G9 Tremolux in a 15" cab.
    The Mojo Tweed Pro kit is the least expensive way of buying the cabinet, chassis, speaker, transformers and assorted parts, etc from Allparts in the UK.
    Is is possible to build the front end of the 5G9 Tremolux onto the power section of the 5E5A Pro kit?
    How many different parts will be needed?
    I already know that the Pro chassis will be mislabeled but that matters not.
    A few suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Delta MacLoud

Hi MacLoud

I most strongly advise you to build the 5G9 stock. The particular bias-vary trem circuit in that amp is paired to the fixed bias 6V6s perfectly, and it works best that way (and it'll blow your socks off). Don't worry about grafting it onto another amp. JM2CW

I built one last year, and it is still one of my favourite amps (- that is against my 5E3, 5F6A+, and 5F2A - but i would say that about my amps ;-). When paired with a stand alone reverb unit the 5G9 is feckin' unreal.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I bought a 1959 5G9 a few months ago..

Fitted an original 1960 P12Q.. YES THAT GOOD.
      Came with a 1962 P12N and AX7 in V1.

Kept the AX in V1 and it's still super clean compared to my 59 Deluxe.
      Picked up an original 1963 Reverb unit last week too.

The sound of my White Falcon through the Tremolux is unreal.....
      'Words'.. Neil Young

Comment

Thank you for your words of wisdom Tubeswell.
        OK so here it goes. If I buy the Tweed Pro kit I get a chassis that I can use as it has the correct holes for the controls of the 5G9 but can I use the transformers that come with the kit?
        Or will Pro transformers be too much for the 5G9 stock circuit.
        The reason I ask is purely economics as buying the kit is much less expensive than buying parts like chassis, transforners, etc in the UK. I can get the Mojo Pro kit for approx £700.00 with cab, speakers, etc and all I would have to purchase would be a few different components and change out the board in the kit for an 5G9 type.
        As far as I am aware nobody is making a 5G9 chassis so the Pro will have to do.
        I thank you for your advice.

Comment

A 5E7 chassis will work (altho it'll have different markings)

Ted Weber does them.

(I made my own with a crude-as homemade bending brake out of 1.2mm Ally. Hand-engraved the markings. If you buy Ally sheetmetal with durafilm protection on one side, you can do heaps of fabrication and when you come to remove the durafilm, its as clean and shiny as a new whistle underneath)
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X