Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't you use it?

Dear Pickup Maker:

A space has been given to in this very forum you to show your creations to the world.

It's called "Pickup Makers Showcase".

It costs you nothing, and you even are hand-held to set it up.

Why only a few of you have set either videos or sound clips?

I don't get it.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    Dear Pickup Maker:

A space has been given to in this very forum you to show your creations to the world.

It's called "Pickup Makers Showcase".

It costs you nothing, and you even are hand-held to set it up.

Why only a few of you have set either videos or sound clips?

I don't get it.

I don't have time or interest in impressing fellow forum members. I do custom order stuff and don't have a "line" of pickups to flog on the forum, besides, who here is going to buy a pickup from me when most make their own?

It's like trying to sell Camp Fire Mints to the Girl Scouts isn't it?.
    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I have plenty of sound clips. but I'm waiting until I do some videos... I just did my first, which isn't really about the pickups, but was more or less to get my feet wet and try some video production ideas. It does feature my Jazz pickups though. As it is the sound is a little out of synch.

YouTube - Gentle Giant's Cogs in Cogs Bass Line

I think the forum reachers more people than just pickup makers. I know this from emails I have gotten from people looking for pickups.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Red House you totally missed the point of the Showcase. Its not for US, its for lurkers, people dropping in wondering who we all are and what we make. Its where we can show pride in our craft. Its a business tool, it will get google hits. Its a place to post videos of gals taking their tops off. I'm still waiting for submissions for THAT one, c'mon guys.....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          Red House you totally missed the point of the Showcase. Its not for US, its for lurkers, people dropping in wondering who we all are and what we make. Its where we can show pride in our craft. Its a business tool, it will get google hits. Its a place to post videos of gals taking their tops off. I'm still waiting for submissions for THAT one, c'mon guys.....
          I don't think I missed the point Dave. I got some in the can, just isn't a big deal to me. I have a lot on my plate besides pickups.
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Why don't I post there?

I'm too ugly to work in radio, that's why.

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

I don't have access to a good videocam, I don't look goog enough and I play lousy

I have been thinking about making some sound clips and just slap som stupid texts on the screen like "this is my very nice this and that pickup played in this and that position with extrem distortion " but really, that isn't so funny to watch and I really don't have the time. But I would like to have something up there so maybe if you have some patience something will apeare.

Right now my #1 priority is some new product developments and a new web page.

Comment

Well, hell, I'm no movie star, so I keep my face off the video, I use text titles so I don't have to do voice over. I do have the advantage of being a photographer and graphic artist and have been doing pickup videos for a couple years now. They are my primary sales tool now. Even Larry D. is doing videos. Funny how the big pickup makers have been the slowest to recognize the importance of the internet and YouTube etc. I remember Rob Turner at EMG back in the early days telling me the internet would never be anything more than a "toy." My wife and I knew it was literally going to change the whole world, but we had geek friends who introduced us to it who showed us the future. I have tons of things to keep me busy, new inventions, new vintage retreads, plenty of sales, but I try to do new videos every few months to keep my presence out there in media world. I hope to have every product I make demonstrated in a video eventually. I will have to admit though, doing video is real slow hard work, tons of editing in just a five minute show, graphics to do, lighting to set up, photographs to do, it is a royal pain in the butt to do right....
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                  I don't look goog enough and I play lousy .
                  Originally posted by ken View Post
                  I'm too ugly to work in radio, that's why
                  Man, this is beyond belief!

It's NOT a bloody beauty contest, you don't have to show you look like Brad Pitt or you play like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford put together.

Also, you don't have to actually SHOW anything, sound clips are more than welcome.

Talking 'bout of men and mice...?
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                    ...I do custom order stuff and don't have a "line" of pickups to flog on the forum, besides, who here is going to buy a pickup from me when most make their own?

It's like trying to sell Camp Fire Mints to the Girl Scouts isn't it?.
                    For you, it's your chance to advertise your product in a free and honest manner.

Mainly, it's for prospective buyers who, tired of being treated according to their literacy instead of professional acumen, would like a taste of what this socially inbred (cof!)...er...narrowly focussed group actually makes.

-drh
                    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                      I don't have access to a good videocam, I don't look goog enough and I play lousy
                      I can't help in the looks or playing department, but the video was easy, and I don't even own a video camera! And you can see that I didn't even show my face. But I think in a real demo I would, since I'd do some talking.

I used my Canon A590 still camera. They all have movie capability. I recorded the audio separately right into the computer, and then after I imported the video I synched them up and muted the audio in the video file.

I could have synched them better, but I was in a hurry and had a million other things I needed to do instead.

In my case I used iMovie HD on my Mac to do the video editing. I recorded the audio with QuickTime player as I played the track from iTunes, but of course if I'm doing a pickup demo I wouldn't need to play along with a song.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                        For you, it's your chance to advertise your product in a free and honest manner.

Mainly, it's for prospective buyers who, tired of being treated according to their literacy instead of professional acumen, would like a taste of what this socially inbred (cof!)...er...narrowly focussed group actually makes.

-drh
                        Yeah, I read all the hype when Possum first came up with the idea, wanted another place to link his uTube videos. Sure it's a really good thing, glad we have it here on the forum, but it's just so way down on my list of things that need to be done it's off my radar.

When you are a busy (small) shop you must prioritze the paying work above the speculative work. I have 250 more capacitors to replace on that Speck console, 3 tube amplifiers to build, one to repair, a Floyd Rose guitar came in last week for a fret job and wiring issues, I have a humbucker set and a Strat set to wind, four Classic-Vibe and four Vibe-Baby's to build, so like for me the whole showcase thing gets bumped right down the list onto the back burner.

Someday I will get the time to put together a presentation, but for now I'm busy enough.
                        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          I can't help in the looks or playing department, but the video was easy, and I don't even own a video camera! And you can see that I didn't even show my face. But I think in a real demo I would, since I'd do some talking.

I used my Canon A590 still camera. They all have movie capability. I recorded the audio separately right into the computer, and then after I imported the video I synched them up and muted the audio in the video file.

I could have synched them better, but I was in a hurry and had a million other things I needed to do instead.

In my case I used iMovie HD on my Mac to do the video editing. I recorded the audio with QuickTime player as I played the track from iTunes, but of course if I'm doing a pickup demo I wouldn't need to play along with a song.
                          Is that one of your Bass's you built?
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                            Is that one of your Bass's you built?
                            No, that's a 1987 Ibanez SR-885LE. It's the only bass I have with Jazz pickups, so it became the test platform for my Jazz humbuckers. It had been sitting in its case with no pickups, or strings, for about 8 years.

My main bass is getting some restoration. I decided to make the neck narrower at the nut, and then re-carve it, which required removing all the frets, and the fingerboard binding, etc. Then I decided to strip off the old lacquer and refinish it, since the neck no longer had any finish. It had a thin catalyzed lacquer finish, and after 15 years of heavy playing, it had some scratches and dings, etc. I have a few others I'm also doing work on.

Now I just have to put the thing back together!

Here's the bass I'm restoring and the Ibanez in the video, which has since gotten a new black Hipshot bridge and new knobs.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by David Schwab; 08-15-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I personally have never felt welcome here and have endured name calling and other bs from certain members here.
                              I poke in to read once in a while but won't participate because of my past experiences here.
                              Bryan Gunsher
                              http://www.bg-pups.com
                              https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

Working...
                              X