Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super Six Baby... w/problems :(

Okay fellas,

So I have myself a 72 Fender Super Six Reverb. I just had it shipped from a previous owner who said that he never complained about the working order; says it has always worked fine and dandy. It came in fine, two of the tubes broke from some dummies who dropped it I guess, so I replaced the standard 6L6GC tubes and plugged her in. All tubes glow, EXCEPT preamp tube number 4. SO I say okay common sense plug the tube in another socket see if it glows. Sure enough it does. So I plug a known working tube back into socket 4. No glow. I take the amp out of the cabinet check the schematics, nothing has been modified. I check the socket to see if something may have come loose, something burned, etc. Nothing. I need to hear how this baby sounds but can't! Somethings wrong here. It must be the socket? I don't know.

I'm new to these fine Fender amps but know some electronics and have played for 7 years. No clue whats happenin' with this amp. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

I need any help from you fellas badly here
    Shane

Pins 4 and 5 are wired together, then there should be 6 volts AC between them and pin 9. Look closely at the solder to the wires on those pins. Pull the tube and go on the top side and look down those socket holes - especially pin 9. Are any of them spread - like they might not be making contact with the tube pin? With the tube still out, fire up the amp and from the top side - the side where the tube is normally - probe pin 9 and 4-5 with your meter on AC volts. You get 6VAC there?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You might measure the socket and see voltage and then not get the tube to glow. May need a new socket or re-tension the old socket.

Comment

Working...
      X