5F6A+ gut shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F6A+ gut shots

Well I decided I'm happy enough now with the sound at this point to warrant some gut shots

The whole back of the amp shows the tube layout: V1 by inputs, then reverb driver, rev recovery/bypass (gap for the Reverb footswitch) DC Pair, LFO and LTP.

Dashboard colour-code (Black = FX knobs; 3 verb, 2 trem, White = vol and EQ - the fuses are mains and HT fuses). There is no stdby switch. With the GZ34 in, the B+ comes up nice'n'slow.

The trem can now go from mellow & slow to intense and fast and the Reverb has a good range of sounds. There's a heap of combinations available from intermingling the two FX.
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Glad to hear that's coming together for ya! It looks real nice and clean. I wanna hear it!
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Sound bytes

Okay here's a loose-as clean take done without any mic'ing or any proper desk (that'll have to wait for another day). Excuse any (sloppy playing and) scratchy noise you might hear from the CD cover door on my Mac rattling away - I was using the Mac's on-board mic straight into GB. 'verb was on lightly

This is the amp with .022uF mustard coupling caps after the LTP. I might squeak them up a bit by paralleling another .022uF in parallel tomorrow and see what that's like. I would like to get it as bassy as I can. I swapped to an EH12AY7 in V1 for this.
      Attached Files

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

WOA! Great looks, great sound.
        Congrats!!!

Comment

very nice.

You have a tweed for any kind of room you could ever have to play! Maybe all you need now is a 5F4/5E5/5E7.

Do you ever get to play out with em?
          In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
            very nice.

You have a tweed for any kind of room you could ever have to play! Maybe all you need now is a 5F4/5E5/5E7.

Do you ever get to play out with em?
            I have only kept the 5G9, 6G15, and now this one. (Too little room in my amp cupboard with my other amps and PA etc).

The main band (40-something has-beens) I'm in do occasional weddings & corporate dos, private parties and every so often a club, as well as weekly practices and every couple of months, there are Saturday nite jams at the regular practice space. I also do occasional little gigs in other combos but its all just for fun. I get lots of interest in my various amp projects.

I'm thinking a 5B5, 5B6, 5C3, 5C5 or 5C8 would be interesting (if I can get enough octal tubes ) or any of those you mentioned. (Also the 5D4). I am curious about the 5F11 and the 5E9-A and how they compare to the 5G9. I also am curious about the harmonic vibrato amps (6G4-A, 6G5-A, 6G12-A, 6G14 etc) and other brown and blonde amps (6G2, 6G9B, 6G16) as well as a few blackfaces AA764, AA1164, AB763 etc

Comment

Final version of this prototype amp

Okay - for those that are vaguely interested, the attached schematic is the up-to-date (road tested) version of this amp, complete with all idle voltages. I will do some up-to-date sound bytes when I get a round to it. (If I may say so I think it sounds quite a bit better now than it did when I put the previous sample up on here a while back.)

The reverb is crazy beautiful and has many shades and variations (as you would expect with 4 reverb controls. Sounds like a tweed bassman on steroids). The trem is flattering, but not as intensely hypnotic as my 5G9 clone.

The only thing I notice is that it seems to go through the LFO tubes like billy-o (probably to do with the high CF cathode voltage there - even tho' the heaters are elevated to about 42V) - so a further adjustment to the heater elevation is probably in order.
              Attached Files

Comment

Tubeswell, that is a top-notch DIY job - I like your attention to detail!!!

Comment

Interesting use of the bubble-wrap as well.

Comment

Very nice! What material is the amp covered in? Also what grill cloth was used? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gayler View Post
                      Very nice! What material is the amp covered in?
                      Gingham Tweed. $10/sq m from a local fabric barn. Attached with Weldbond glue. There's a bit of an art to getting the fabric onto the cab and keeping the dots straight etc - so thanks for the compliments.

Originally posted by gayler View Post
                      Also what grill cloth was used? Thanks!
                      Brown hessian/scrim/sackcloth. Not as robust as legit grille material (but not too bad) and only $6/ sq m from the same place.

Comment

great looking build tubeswell. i dont get into the tweed section much but i'm thinking i should.

Comment

Working...
                        X