5e3 6l6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 6l6

after building a deluxe with 6v6 which i love but it seams to get pretty dirty, and i was hoping for some cleaner headroom so i built anouther with 6l6gc i used ceriatone layout. now this amp seems nothing like my 6v6 deluxe its just a very very load amp, not a bad tone but not what i was hoping for. first off the volume goes from zero to screamiong loud at 2 or 3 its like i cant even attemt to dial in tone cause its to loud need help tweeking markt0

Hi Mark

I did a 5E3 for 6V6s or 6L6s last year and it came out with lovely tone either way. Quite clean and jazzy with 6L6s, but really lovely tone

I made the first stage coupling caps at 22nF (mustard caps). I also installed a switchable CLC CRC filter. This helped with some of the tonal options. The 6L6s ran good with a GZ34, but a 5U4GB would've lowered the voltages a wee bit more. (The PT had a 3A 5V winding). I ran the OT on 4k for the 6L6s.

See these threads:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t9154/

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t10966/
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

thanks tubeswell iv bias the tubes a little cooler and it helps the thing is just very loud and will need some tweeking i like the power its got on tap but im just a basement player and it would be loud enough to play large venus great bass response and a nice hard rock crunch cranked up, its my first build with bigger power tubes it just dont have that same sweet break up at lower volume the one with 6v6 does. im lucky i picked up a bunch of transformers for basicly free and i have my own finger break so i can whip up amps for the cost of resistors and caps wire so if i ever play woodstock with a rock blues gig ill have the amp to do it ha ha thanks mark

Comment

Working...
      X