Champ 600 debug help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ 600 debug help

I bought a used Champ 600. After taking it home, I noticed it popped a bit at high volumes sometimes but worked fine otherwise.

I decided to replace the fixed resistors in the tone stack with pots for treble and bass, but afterwards the amp would sometimes cut out briefly then start squealing. The squealing could sometimes be induced by tapping the amp.

The squealing would happen even with the volume control all the way down, and my mod were all before the volume, so I figured the problem had to be in the second stage of the preamp tube or in the power stage and probably didn't involve the part of the circuit I modified, at least directly.

I replaced the preamp tube, but it didn't resolve the problem, so I took the amp apart again and powered it up and probed around with a drumstick to see if I could pinpoint what mechanical change was triggering the squealing. Tapping the chassis would cause it to cut out pretty reliably at that point, then the power tube began to heat up and glow more, so I cut the power. The power tube had overheated enough to melt the plastic on it a bit, but the fuse didn't blow and nothing else has any obvious heat damage. The socket for the tube didn't have anything melted or burnt in it suggesting that something arced between the pins. The power light still comes on and it doesn't blow a fuse without the tube in.

Should I try another power tube or is it likely that the problem is in the circuit?

Drain the supply and visually inspect the suspect area. If you can't find anything, try chopsticking for short, say, 30 second intermvals.

Comment

The stock power tubes in those amps are known problems, and if they short, they usually take out R10, the power tube cathode resistor (270 ohms/2W). Replace the power tube and see if it works. Don't use ANYTHING Chinese or J/J. I've seen more people "upgrade" these amps with J/J 6V6's, only to have them blow the amp up!

You may also have a power tube socket whose contacts are dirty and/or lack enough tension.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

reading your post again, I think it's safe to say you might want to try another power tube and check your connections to your new controls as well as the wiring to them. Also make sure no other parts are damaged before "firing" it back up again.
        I think JJ 6V6's or acrtually any 6v6 should work in that amp fine if it is indeed a good tube.

Comment

Discharged it, the cathode resistor checked out and a closer inspection didn't show anything suspect so I put an new power tube in. So far so good - no more popping or squealing or overheating and noticeably better tone, although I haven't had a chance to give it a prolonged stress test yet. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X