Need a new speaker for my 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new speaker for my 5E3

I have a pair of 12F150's in a 212 cab and they rock, but I want something different in my 5E3 combo. I have a Sig12Aln in it right now and I would like something between the 12F150 and the Sig speaker. By that I mean I want a speaker with balls like the 12F150 and get a little raunchy when pushed, but still be efficient enough to not loose alot of volume. I have been "pondering' the the 12A125 but have been stuck on which model and I don't want one if it is going to sound more like the Sig than the 12F150. BTW the 12F150s sound a little dark with my rig. Mosty I play Blues with a stock JV Strat.w/5E3 or a modded Eppi VJ.
    I know a lot of this is subjective but I hope that I have provided enough info so some recommendations could be made.
    TIA
    Bob

RE: Speaker

I went through a lot of speakers but my fave for a rockin 5e3 is the Tone Tubby 12" 8ohm hemp cone ceramic. And this is comming from a alnico speaker lover. I had a Eminence red fang; Celestion Blue; and Jensen in it before...the tone tubby is my fave. Nice and articulate....very smooth overdrive and efficient too!!

Comment

12f150

Your on the right track with a 12A125 but the 12F125 would punch the level up where you want it !
      I have a 12F150 in a 5E3 and it's great.
      I get to turn up the tone control and get more drive.
      I have a Silver Bell ceramic in a Brown Deluxe that sings.

JJ

Comment

I picked up a red fang and it's a major revelation. I don't care for the clunky looking graphic on the clunky looking magnet cover (c'mon, radius the damn edge) but its a great speaker.

Comment

Try the 12F150 in the actual 5E3 combo. It's amazing how different the same speaker can sound in different cabs. The small lightweight cab and floating baffle on the 5E3 might get rid of that darkness.
          But if you want the best tone, and a massive sound, you owe it to yourself to try a celestion blue in there.
          Peter
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Silver Bell

A 30w Silver Bell ceramic would have lot's of punch & WAY tighter bass than a 12A125 !
            LOUDER too.
            http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/silver12f.htm

JJ
            JJ

Comment

12a150 and a Blue Dog here...

...and both sound great. I have two cabs for my 5E3 head and I run em both. They both sound great, but different. Together they complement one another nicely. One is very bright and chimey (the dog) and the other is very mellow, smooth, and defined. Both are 50W with light doping, because I hate that farty compressed sound you get with a 15W speaker. I'd recommend either or both.
              In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Working...
              X