Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what the "tiny terror" circuit is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right. Since it's a bridge rectifier, there are no 'symmetry' issues around a center tap (there is no center tap), and only one side of the HV winding is switched.

Comment

Hey AdmiralB, i just though i'd pop by and say thanks for the schem! I'm building a handwired clone. I'm going the whole hog using TAD mustard clones etc... From your schem i managed to draw up a nice layout. Cheers!

Comment

EQ Mod

Greets.

I'd like to add an eq after the input stage to the curcuit, in order to have more control over my tone (take some mids out, etc.).

I would build out the resistors R22 (68k) and R23 (470k) and put an eq like used in the mesa/boogie caliber 50 instead of it.

What would you think about this modification ?
        Any suggestions for a built in eq ?

Comment

Originally posted by haripotna View Post
          Greets.

I'd like to add an eq after the input stage to the curcuit, in order to have more control over my tone (take some mids out, etc.).

I would build out the resistors R22 (68k) and R23 (470k) and put an eq like used in the mesa/boogie caliber 50 instead of it.

What would you think about this modification ?
          Any suggestions for a built in eq ?
          My drawing for a .50 Caliber + shows both a BF style tone stack and a graphic equalizer. What did you have in mind?

Adding a regular tone stack to the TT would cut the overall gain something like 20dB. If you need additional control over the tone I'd suggest a tweed deluxe style tone control, wired up to a switch to be able to remove it from the circuit completely.

The thing I liked about the TT was that it was so simple and direct- without all of the BS that you typically find in a Mesa Boogie amp...

Good luck!

Steve Ahola
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Additional Tone Stack

Well, I'd like to add a traditional tone stack to the circuit in order to have more control over the sound. I love the basic sound of the amp, but I'm more the rock/metal head, so I need to shape the sound (just a bit).

I consider, adding a switch to cut the mid-pot of the ground for having a solo switch (without eq in solo mode).

I've put 4 leads instead of the 68k(100k) and the 220k resistor before the second stage of the gain pot - now I can try out several circuits without having to dismount the amp each time I try out an other mod.

I think, I'll give the deluxe tone control a try, for it is very simple and has got good reviews for its "versatility".

Greets from Austria !

Comment

Tiny Terror Voltages?

I'm considering converting an old PA amp (2 x 12AX7, 2 x EL84) to a Tiny Terror circuit. Does anybody know what plate voltages are run to the tubes?

Thanks,

Don

Comment

Just started playing with one of these... nice little amp, and i kinda like the extra crunch in the pre as opposed to my 18 watter, but this amp DOES NOT like my 15" big ben cab! got a little upper mid sizzle that just irks me, don't hear it with a 12" cab, but it doesn't like the big ben. my 18 likes it fine, my single ended champs like it fine,a nd my long lost Drz Z-28 loved it....

Tried pulling the bright cap, to cut some of the high end (so subjective, and other people want MORE upper mids?!?!?)

It helped a bit, but not too much.... just seems to get going when i crank the preamp above 3/4 or so. Pull back the pre, and goose up the master, and it is fine, but loses that grind.... any other ideas? like Steve A I like the simplicity of the circuit as-is, but i may have to add a tone control somewhere.... good call with the deluxe style... I can put it on a push pull or something..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

So, changed the Cathode resistor in the phase inverter 9was 1.2k, put a 1.k in parallel for theoretical 550 ohms)

The "fizzyness of the top end is gone now, but i think i have to reconnect the bright cap... since the only tone control is a "cut" control, it has less effect when the gain is lower, as there is less high end content in the source... we'll see how it goes tomorrow, ill try a few alternate bright caps.

Comment

Hi boys,
                    I'm trying to do by myself something playing like "little bastard" tiny terror.
                    Can you post me schematic?
                    kkobain@tiscali.it
                    Last edited by pippodepippis; 10-17-2007, 02:47 PM. Reason: e-mail

Comment

PT secondarys

Hi , I`m thinking of making a TT clone for my brother, and he directed me to this tread. I`ve made a layout from the schem that admiral B posted, but can anyone tell me what the secondary voltages on the PT are in the real TT, and is there something mysterious about the OT ?

Kind regards

Kjell

Comment

i had a similar question, what transformers can be used for this project ? something from Hammond ?

Comment

Good Simple Mod

Good modification that only involves a tube change. I had a 60's RCA 12au7 tube sitting around so I thought I would put it in my new Tiny Terror. That tube made the amp what I wanted it to be. Before, the amp got ridiculously overdriven. It sounded more like a novelty amp... class-a amp with a boss orange distortion. (I wonder if that's were boss got the color from on the ds-1 because it sounds remarkably similar). So I was a little unhappy with the distortion pedal effect, because I like my distortion pedals, and was kind of hoping this would break up in a slower more "amp-like" way. I guess how I imagined an old vox cranked or something. When I put in the au7... OMG. This amp sounds fantastic!!! It reduces the overall output of the amp, which leads me to think I'm basically putting a "stopper" on the amp's gain at 6 or 7 (not o'clock but as in 5 being center, ten being max). Which is probably the case, but, it's like 7 becomes 10 now, which is the perfect tone for me, but I have 10 numbers to tweak the sound now. I can get a lot more room when I dial in, where as before, it seemed like from 5 to 6 it suddenly got really dirty. Now I get that same pallette of dirt between, 6 and 8. And between 9 and 10 is this great distortion that's more than enough for my liking. This simple mod is soooo great, try it if you think the TT is a little to much and want a great vintage tone. Also there are two tubes with more gain than the 12AU7 but less than the 12AX7. I think one is the 12AT7, I forget the other, but I would love to try those out, to bridge the gap. The tube I changed was the one on the right side of the amp while looking at the name-plate. The one on the left side didn't seem to make as much of a difference (if any).

Comment

hey guys!
                            first post here!

so how many of you guys are also planning a Tiny Terror Build? I have a layout, but I'd like a few opinions, so Kjell can you please email me your layout? I'd really appreciate it
                            s4r4v4 @ aim.com

Right now, I'm just piecing through a layout with the schematic. so far so good, but i'm sure i'll have some serious debugging if i ever get around to it!
                            Last edited by s.r.v.; 01-21-2008, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by s.r.v. View Post
                              hey guys!
                              first post here!

so how many of you guys are also planning a Tiny Terror Build? I have a layout, but I'd like a few opinions, so Kjell can you please email me your layout? I'd really appreciate it
                              s4r4v4 @ aim.com

Right now, I'm just piecing through a layout with the schematic. so far so good, but i'm sure i'll have some serious debugging if i ever get around to it!
                              Thanks for bringing this up! I have a few Epi Valve Jr's and Tube 30's around and was planning to try out a TT design in one of them. There are so few parts (other than the power supply) that I think it should be fairly easy to design an eyelet board for it- or even use perfboard.

As for the comments about a tone stack, I really think that a few well-placed, well-chosen caps and/or resistors could fine-tune this amp to work with your intended cabinet. Or maybe just go with a 5E3 tone control, since it doesn't have the 20dB loss of a blackface style tone stack (I think that you can switch it out of the circuit with a DPDT switch).

Steve Ahola

P.S. Another project I've been seriously considering for my menagerie of Epiphonia is the JonesAmps 3 Tube SE Wreck that I guess was very popular with the AX84 folk. But the intended host for that circuit is a Galaxie 10, not a Valve Jr or Tube 30...
                              The Blue Guitar
                              www.blueguitar.org
                              Some recordings:
                              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by princecharlz View Post
                                Good modification that only involves a tube change. I had a 60's RCA 12au7 tube sitting around so I thought I would put it in my new Tiny Terror. That tube made the amp what I wanted it to be. Before, the amp got ridiculously overdriven. It sounded more like a novelty amp... class-a amp with a boss orange distortion. (I wonder if that's were boss got the color from on the ds-1 because it sounds remarkably similar). So I was a little unhappy with the distortion pedal effect, because I like my distortion pedals, and was kind of hoping this would break up in a slower more "amp-like" way. I guess how I imagined an old vox cranked or something. When I put in the au7... OMG. This amp sounds fantastic!!! It reduces the overall output of the amp, which leads me to think I'm basically putting a "stopper" on the amp's gain at 6 or 7 (not o'clock but as in 5 being center, ten being max). Which is probably the case, but, it's like 7 becomes 10 now, which is the perfect tone for me, but I have 10 numbers to tweak the sound now. I can get a lot more room when I dial in, where as before, it seemed like from 5 to 6 it suddenly got really dirty. Now I get that same pallette of dirt between, 6 and 8. And between 9 and 10 is this great distortion that's more than enough for my liking. This simple mod is soooo great, try it if you think the TT is a little to much and want a great vintage tone. Also there are two tubes with more gain than the 12AU7 but less than the 12AX7. I think one is the 12AT7, I forget the other, but I would love to try those out, to bridge the gap. The tube I changed was the one on the right side of the amp while looking at the name-plate. The one on the left side didn't seem to make as much of a difference (if any).
                                Howdy!
                                First poster, just digging all the info on my fab little Orange.
                                I, too, tried the 12au7 swap, but on the other socket. With the knobs facing me, I did not know which of the 2 sockets was the preamp and which was the phase inverter, so I tried each one:
                                * trying the 12au7 in the right side made the amp almost inaudible
                                * trying it in the left side did exactly what I wanted: less grunge, more detail!
                                I did lose out on a wee bit of sparkle, but that's probably the difference between the good, stock Czech 12ax7 and the mezza-mezza Chinese 12au7. I imagine if I can get a really *nice* 12au7, then I'll get everything the Ruby gave me plus some sheen as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X