Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build something from scratch

Hi guys, im new here and this is my first post

ive been wanting to build my own amp for a while now, and have finally decided to start learning how to do it. It will be a tube amp, and i have never owned a tube amp before, but i know the basic maintenance routine. Where is a good place to learn the ins and outs of a tube amp and its parts so i can build one. Im planing on building several amps, start off simple and as time goes one build more and more complex amps until i have everything i need to get a versatile amp that can handle all the wierd tones in my head.

You might want to start with a working amp amp try some modifications to that. Starting from scratch will make the learning curve EXTREMELY steep. You are going to have to put the thing together and troubleshoot it without having any frame of reference. If you get a working amp, you can listen and say "I wish it sounded a little more ____" and figure out how to make that happen. Once you understand how the parts work together (MUCH easier on a working amp) you will be far better prepared to tackle a total build. You may be impatient like me and want to skip unnecessary steps, but I believe you will actually get to the end result (an amp of your own design) quicker. I plan on building and amp out of a Fender Super 60 carcass but by performing a couple of mods to my Princeton, I am much better prepared. Ampwares has the Fender field guide with loads of schematics and layout drawings, you'll want to take a look at those. Do a Google seach for amp mods or kits, there are many sites that have a lot of information. Best of Luck!!

Comment

Rebuilding an existing amp is good experience, I agree. It gets you used to working inside something, and when it doesn't work, at least you know it used to work. Built from scratch you never know whether it is your design, just a problem, or bad implementation (wiring error).

But building is also great experience and you get pride of work. I recommend a kit for a first build. The kits include the parts and have thought out what you need. They vary in quality and price. Hang around the build your own section here for a while and learn what you can. In fact, read this whole web site, since we discuss all things amplifier.

There are also sites like the AX84 which is all about building.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i think i may go with a kit, as i dont have the cash right now to buy a good tube amp right now.

Comment

If you are thinking of building to save money, you might be disappointed. The cheapest amp is probably something used. Middle aged Fenders are not expensive, and something off brand like an old Traynor amp can be real bargains.

I like Traynors, something like an old Bass Mate. They are very sturdy amps, well made, and with loads of room under the chassis for working and modifying.

You can easily find a working tube amp for $200 I bet.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I started at AX84.com with the P1. I highly recommend it for your first build. There is a great group of guys over there and they have good documentation for both the build itself and how the amp works. They are also glad to help in their forums when you get confused.

Comment

Working...
            X