output trans impedance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• output trans impedance

I've recently picked up an old radio chassis.
    It has a cute vintage SE Stancor OT that I would like to utilize. my guess is its about 4 watts and is labled 4000 ohms primary and 8 ohms secondary.
    funny thing is it was coupled to a 6v6gt.

in my limited experience a 6v6 wants 5K on the primary right?

I can't find any date codes on the chassis or components that i can decifer, but from the wooden spools that the dial strings go thru and a repair tag dated oct 1954 from monroe radio repair i'm guessing this thing was made in the early 40's and may have had a field coil speaker at one time.

the Stancor looks like its not original to the chassis, but i can't prove it.

I guess my question is would this be suitable to use on a 6v6 se amp?

would I be better off using a 6k6 and a 16 ohm speaker?

also in the same box of stuff i have a MM axiom OT for a tweed champ (FTCHO-5) I was told this would be suitable for a Princeton 5F2A if I use a 4 ohm speaker, any opinions on that info would be greatly apreciated too.

thanks

Originally posted by stingray_65 View Post
    in my limited experience a 6v6 wants 5K on the primary right?
    Most tube datasheets give a value around 8k, but anything between 5k and 10k will work and anything between 6k6 and 8k will sound good in a tweed champ/princeton

Originally posted by stingray_65 View Post
    would I be better off using a 6k6 and a 16 ohm speaker?
    Simplest way of doing it
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Or just use a 6V6 and a 16 ohm speaker keep the plate voltage down. Unless you think 6K6's sound better than 6V6's

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

tnks

Comment

Working...
        X