Tubes for AC30CCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for AC30CCH

Looking to replace power & preamp tubes for a new (Chinese) AC30 Head. Had problems with the power tubes the first week I had it. Warranty covered the repair. Now it's a year later, off warranty & I'm getting the same type of "Hissy" noise. Under warranty I was told the bad tube(s) were changed. Now I open it up to find 2 brands of power & 2 brands of preamp. Power tubes are EL84; Electo Harmonix (2) & Edicron (2). Preamps are Tung Sol (V1 & 3) & Chinese 12AX7B in V2. I want to upgrade the whole lot. Any suggestions?? Have been told NOS tubes are great, but too pricey for me. Any suggestions for currently produced tubes. Than you all in advance for your suggestions

The new Tung-Sol 12AX7's are great...I would leave them in place. The Chinese 12AX7's are getting a good rep too....I might leave that one in place.

The EH EL84's are reliable and sound ok. EI sound the best among new stuff for Voxes, but EI stopped making tubes in August, and no word yet as to if they will start up again or not. THeir preamp tubes were often microphonic, and their quality has been spotty on everything since the Balkan war, so prewar would be better if you can find it. Otherwise, the EI EL84's sound very nice. Some people also like the JJ's, and they are pretty good, but I prefer the EI's in my AC30. Actually my favorite is NOS GE's, but they are spendy and hard to find nowadays. I got a quad for $85 from Angela Instruments awhile back.

The Edicrons that you have are relabelled...who knows who actually made them.

Hissy noises are usually noisy or microphonic preamp tubes. I'd suggest to get some new ones and try to sub one at a time to see if you can spot the bad tube. The new Tung-Sol's are very nice like I mentioned above. Other good choices are the JJ ECC83S, JJ ECC803S, Sovetk 12AX7LPS, EH12AX7, EI12ax7/ECC83, Shuguang 12AX7 (Chinese), Groove Tubes 12AX7M. These are all reliable and sound different to each other. When you get a good one, again, the EI is my favorite of these I mentioned. If money was no object, then I'd say NOS Mullard, Amperex, Telefunken, etc would be better. Keep in mind that the AC30 is an amp with no negative feedback loop, so it will always be a bit noisier than your typical Fender or Marshall. Also, you've got a GZ34 rectifier tube in that amp......and new manufacture leaves you with a choice between JJ and EH/Sovtek, and I think Shuguang makes one too. Or NOS ones.

Comment

Working...
    X