Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question on rwrp connections

Hi again

A rather dumb question which are the correct outputs on a strat that has a rwrp pickup in the middle, The 2 outside pups have the start as earth, should the rwrp pup also have the start as earth ?

Cheers again

Andrew

It probably all depends... My approach is to hook it up and if it works right the first time I congratulate myself for being so smart. If I get it wrong the first time then the odds were simply against me. Much faster to switch two wires 50% of the time than to think about it when we don't have all the necessary info at hand.

Comment

The they coils are actually would in reverse, then you wire them all up the same way.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Engrish tladslation prease?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          Engrish tladslation prease?
          When you wire up a "standard" humbucker, such as the way a PAF is done, both coils are wound in the same direction, but wired start to start, or finish to finish. So they are wound the same durection, but wired out-of-phase.

When each coil is would in opposite directions, you wire them up start to finish, or in phase.

RWRP implies one coil is reverse wound, so you wire them in phase.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Well

On ALL of my Strats, I just put in a (purists get ready to cringe) push/pull pot so I can reverse the polarity at any time, that way I have both forward or reverse wind on a switch, and you will find uses for both sounds, just be sure the magnets are reversed on the middle pickup.

Comment

Hi All

Still confused !!! I have wired the normal pickups so that looking from above down onto the top of the pup the start wire earth is on the left hand side. On the reverse wound pup the start wire is on the right, the question is, is the rwrp the earth on the start wire (right hand side) or on the finish wire ?
              Thanks in advance, are the outputs supposed to be in phase with each other ?

Cheers all

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                Hi All

Still confused !!! I have wired the normal pickups so that looking from above down onto the top of the pup the start wire earth is on the left hand side. On the reverse wound pup the start wire is on the right, the question is, is the rwrp the earth on the start wire (right hand side) or on the finish wire ?
                Thanks in advance, are the outputs supposed to be in phase with each other ?
                The start wiring is the inside wire of the coil. It doesn't matter if its on the left or right. Did you wind these pickups yourself?

If the pickup is RWRP, you want to wire it in phase with the rest of the pickups. So if the other pickups have the start going to ground, do the same thing with the middle pickup.

If you don't know which is which, try it out, and if they sound thin together, and hum, then reverse the wires.

Comment

Originally posted by shane1b4u View Post
                  On ALL of my Strats, I just put in a (purists get ready to cringe) push/pull pot so I can reverse the polarity at any time, that way I have both forward or reverse wind on a switch, and you will find uses for both sounds, just be sure the magnets are reversed on the middle pickup.
                  I also like out of phase sounds. It wont hum cancel out of phase though, which is the main reason for the RWRP setup.

I never use single coil pickups anyway.

Comment

I like to have the bridge pickup phase-switchable, that way I can have neck/bridge out of phase and hum cancel with the rwrp middle pickup off. But to the topic in the OP, I'm with David King, fire it up and flip the leads if need be. The original pickups in my mid-90's MIJ Squier had cheapo plastic bobbins, ceramic mags, steel poles, and all were wound in the same direction with the middle leads swapped.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      The they coils are actually would in reverse, then you wire them all up the same way.
                      Unless it's a MIM Fender Strat, they are all the same and they just reverse the middle pickup hookup wire. (and color it yellow, woohoo!)
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Hi All

I was having a brain seizure the other day. I could´nt figure out why the pickups on my guitar worked even with the coil outs wrong, I had forgotten to check the selector switch where I had reversed the wires. To many late nights !!!!

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                        X