PAF parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    ...That's why some people use buffers, like the Redeemer. I use JFET buffers after the tone and volume controls, and you can hear a huge difference when the buffer is in the signal path. It's removing the cable from the tone.
    I'm not disagreeing with using buffers on Bass, they are a natural choice there. Guitar is a different story specially when you are trying to get that "vintage" sound as is the current topic.
    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
      I'm not disagreeing with using buffers on Bass, they are a natural choice there. Guitar is a different story specially when you are trying to get that "vintage" sound as is the current topic.
      I agree, but I think they are adding buffers these days because players are using a lot more pedals. The two guys I play with have at least 7 or 8. One uses all Boss stuff, and a Cry Baby. The other guy has all true bypass stuff. He runs a Keeley compressor first in the chain, dime'd.

This is stuff people used to complain about with the MXR stuff, etc. It is nice that Dunlop is selling authentic reproductions of the old script Phase 90's.

I don't use buffers in my guitars, makes them sound too brittle. But I also don't want to subtract from the tone of the guitar when it's running through a bunch of pedals. I have an old BK Butler Blue Tube overdrive. The output impedance is too high, so depending on what I plug it into, I loose a lot of output and tone. So I had to make an output buffer for the thing. It didn't hurt the tone, but now I can use it anywhere, without having to patch a pedal behind it.

If you make an input buffer and keep the impedance a bit lower, you can gain some load stabilization and not make the guitar sound too hi-fi.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
        The Vox and the Dunlop are one in the same these days, they have some kind of manufacturing agreement going on. In the Vox wah in this picture you can see the pot with an aluminum ring around it, remove that aluminum ring and you will see "Dunlop Hot-Pot"
        Well the Vox and Cry Baby were the same in the beginning, just different marketing in the States. Until Thomas Organ changed them.

The Cry Baby I had was like the Vox pedals, just cheaper. I got it back in the early 90's. I sold that and a green Sovtek Big Muff for more than I bought them for on eBay! I love when that happens. And I hated that Big Muff! Too clean sounding or something.

I've been meaning to build myself a Vox wah... and an AC-30.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Down Time View Post
          I have wound up a few pickups using 42 plain enamel with WCR A2 magnets, pretty nice. I think the magnet being a little closer to the adjusting screws is a good thing.
          I've got a WCR A2 here... it's one of the most powerful A2s I've come across. Can't imagine the extra width would make that much of a noticible difference, but this thing holds a pretty hefty charge.

Comment

Mass has alot to do with it, he makes his wider so no need for keeper, the extra width probably gets a hotter charge. I have some A4 that I had made in vintage thickness and it will hold the same charge A5 will, really nice magnets too.
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
              I have some A4 that I had made in vintage thickness and it will hold the same charge A5 will, really nice magnets too.
              Right, the surface area of the pole matters, so a thicker magnet will be stronger.

Comment

• Gibson 490s have ceramics the same width as WCR mags, too, and no keeper.

Comment

• Originally posted by cryptozoo View Post
                  Gibson 490s have ceramics the same width as WCR mags, too, and no keeper.
                  Are you SURE 490s have CERAMIC magnets?
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

• Originally posted by cryptozoo View Post
                    Gibson 490s have ceramics the same width as WCR mags, too, and no keeper.
                    I don't know. The 490's that I have all have A5 mags. and a keeper.
                    Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

I think he meant they have CREME magnets
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                        I don't know. The 490's that I have all have A5 mags. and a keeper.
                        Sorry, Gibby refers to them as "496r" and "500ts." Didn't know what they were called until I just looked them up.

Comment

Working...
                        X