Do I need add spring reverb in 5w class tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need add spring reverb in 5w class tube amp

The 5w class A tube guitar amp. I want add spring reverb in it, But some one think the reverb is only for larger power amp which use outdoor.5 w amp always used in room, do not need add reverb? Is it right?

its all what you are used to, after having some reverb in your sound many guitarists think dry guitar sounds "flat" "compressed" and one dimensional. Even when they want to demonstrate the pure tone of an amp they HAVE to have some reverb, like when Steve Vai demoed his first Legacy Series amp for Carvin. So if you use reverb on the big guy you likely will want it on the little guy, irrespective of where you are playing. Reverb tanks are big and adding one can double (or triple) the size of a micro amp. I am favoring adding a Belton digiverb unit to my Firefly:
    Belton BTDR-1H Reverb Module
    its small cheap and very well reviewed in Lee Jackson's Mr Springy pedal:
    Mr Springgy Reverb Pedal by Lee Jackson Metaltronix

Comment

Originally posted by kldguitar View Post
      The 5w class A tube guitar amp. I want add spring reverb in it, But some one think the reverb is only for larger power amp which use outdoor.5 w amp always used in room, do not need add reverb? Is it right?
      If you like reverb, even in a 1W amp it can be enjoyable. Give 'er.

I always have reverb available, in any size of amp. From there it depends on the room acoustics more than the amp itself.

Comment

If you really like the sound of a classic spring reverb. It only makes sense to build/obtain a "stand-alone" reverb head. Incorporating it into a low power amp is a bit silly IMO. The reverb network is almost twice as "complex" as the amp. Once you have a "stand-alone", you can use it with [virtually] ANYthing.
        Mac/Amps
        "preserving the classics"
        Chicago, Il., USA
        (773) 283-1217
        (cell) (847) 772-2979
        Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
        www.mac4amps.com

Comment

A typical 5W SE amp (e.g. a Champ or Epi Jr) has a very simple preamp and most of the distortion is happening in the poweramp. So, you should be able to get pretty much the same sound with a good reverb pedal before the amp as with reverb built in.

Then again, it's always practical to have everything in the same package.

Comment

Working...
          X