Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra Power Supply Filtering in BF Super Reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Power Supply Filtering in BF Super Reverb?

I have a mid/late 1960s Fender Black Face Super Reverb with some interesting
    extra power supply filtering. I am wondering if anyone can explain why
    someone did this to the amp. Apart from this the amp has a solid state rectifier, and master vol.... I would eventually like to do a cap job and wonder if all of the filtering is needed?

In the main ps filter cap housing there are the following
    3 20uf/500v atoms - looks OK w/ schemo.
    2 50uf/500v Nichicons which would be the 2 connected between +465V of the rectifier and standby switch. OK, beefed up a bit?

Now inside of the chassis mounted in between the bias pot and 6L6GC are 2 more large electrolytics (400uf/350v) in series with 220K 2W resistors between the + and - of each cap.
    This cap array is between ground, and, where +465v and standby meet on the top left side of board.

Good schematic here for ref..
    http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...b763_schem.pdf

I tell you what I would do. Since the amp has been modified you don't have to worry about it being a pristine collector piece. I would figure out the exact year and chassis number, get the correct schematic and layout diagram, and put it back to original specifications along with the recap. Too many times you see stuff like this as a bandaid fix for a problematic modification. Also ask around and see if you can find some gut shots of a similar amp.

Comment

Working...
    X