Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customer seeks advice!

This one cheered me up!

A fellow customer came in to my service department....

'Hello there, I wounder if you can help? Do you repair valve amps,' yes I replied.
    Well it's my fender hot rod, I've changed all the tube's and now it sounds very bad and I've reset the tube's and my mate said 'just move the bias trim pot and that'll do it!
    Things like that should be left to tech's to sort out and that way you get your equipment back working as it should. Well he say's can't you tell what to do as I'm not tech minded! let me see, mmm bring in here and I'll fix it for you! and with that he left!

Speaking of power tube bias...

I mentioned this years ago here... but it still makes me laugh...

a customer came into my shop and bought five 3a slo-blo fuses from me because his amp blew a fuse two nights in a row at the gig...
    I told him the power tubes were probably going bad.
    He came back a couple days later to bring the blown fuses back, asking for a refund because,
    "three or four of the new fuses blew last night in the last set".
    His complaint, of course was the fuses I sold him were defective.

I'll be willing to bet a weeks pay that other commercial techs here have similar stories.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Yep all the time

we need more laughable storys on here as it makes a change!

I get clients trying to get fee repair's all the time......

I got one chap bring he's jcm 2000 in for a repair ,he went away very please till the following week he return with it saying 'it's not coming on now? so on reaching for my repairs note's I noticed that it's S' number was different plus the valve's I fitted was not the same. And when I showed him the full repair note's of what was done, it turned out he was trying to get he's mate's amp fixed using he's warranty ticket for he's own amp. some folks make you

Comment

Oh I have had that happen. I had a guy bring in a PA speaker, and I replaced the burnt out whatever. He then returned with another speaker telling me my repair didn't work. I pointed out to him that the serial number was different. I further pointed out that when he purchased the original speaker, it was part of a pair, and the second unit of that pair had the same serial number as the speaker he was now presenting.

Bruce, I once had a technician who needed a 15 amp fuse and didn't have one. He managed to solder a 5A and a 10A fuse in parallel and stick them in the holder.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X