Hartke 3500A fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartke 3500A fault

My Hartke 3500 developed a fault during a gig last night. The sound is fuzzy - like a harsh rattling farty sound. At first I thought I had blown a speaker - but it's not that.

Does this fault sound familiar to anyone? The amp's a few years old - I'm trying to find what it would cost to repair this - and I could use a back-up amp in ghe meantine - or just replace it.

Ian

amp

Did you open it and check for bad solder joints? Its a start

Comment

Yeah, I'd open it up, apply a signal, an listen to it while I poked each part on the board using an insulated tool, like a wooden chopstick. In particular the capacitors.

Also, along the rear edge of the main board is a row of connectors. The transformer leadsa among them. Wiggle those connedtors. ANy loose conections? I have to resolder the male pins on those now and then.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Seems to be heat related

I powered it up this morning - it seemed to work OK. The crackiling/farting came out in the last set - so I started playing it - and after 15 mins - it started crackling again - heat related?

I'll open if up see if I get anything else.

Ian

Comment

If the fault is indeed heat-related ( drifting active component ), the use of a freezing spray might be the fastest way to find/locate the defective component(s). Wait for the problem to occur, then spray the active components one by one with the freezing spray ( Voltage stabilizers, output devices, op-amps in the preamp section, and so on ) having a friend playing notes at the same time ( or using a signal generator if you have one ) until the amp starts to work normally again, then test/replace the component you were spraying the spray on when the amp went back to normality.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
          Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

It's the bass

This surprised me....

It's the bass - not the amp. Before I started working on it, I thought I'd better check my back-up amp for tonight's gig.

It did the same thing - I relaced the cord, and tried other basses - and it's the Fender Jazz.

I guess that's good news - that's gotta be easier to fix.

Thanks for taingthe time to reply everyone.

Ian

Comment

Active pickups with a weak battery maybe?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X