Strange pickup problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange pickup problem

Hello! I'm new into pickup making, hope you (experienced) guys will can shed light on this story...
    I've built an humbucker and wired it in series with volume and tone pots (1M).

Series wiring should be the HOT of one bobin with the GROUND of the other one wired together, the other HOT on the + of the volume pot and the GROUND on the back of the pot. Well. It works but sounds a bit thin and is a bit noisy while, if I solder the HOT/GROUND wires for the series wiring on the back of the pot the hum goes down and the output goes up A LOT.
    I've built the pickup with 2 single coils wound with 10mm alnico poles... one is South up and one is North up for hum cancelling. The controls routing is shielded with conductive varnish. Any idea? Thanx in advance!

It's not about linking "hot" of one bobbin to "ground" of another. How do you know which is hot or ground until they're in the circuit?

It should be about linking either start lead to start lead or finish lead to finish lead. Most makers do finish-to-finish, I'm a "maverick" in that I link start to start, but it works either way.

Comment

"Hot" is the start (white wire) and "Ground" is the end (black wire).

Comment

Your coils are out of phase.

The way to wire a humbucker is start to start, or finish to finish. So it's the "hot" of one coils to the "hot" on the other, not the ground!

The reason for this is each coil has the opposite magnetic polarity, so they are magnetically out of phase. So you have to wire them electrically out of phase to restore the phase of the coils, and then to cancel hum.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Uhm... thanx for your reply, I'll check and get back in a few hours

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Your coils are out of phase.

The way to wire a humbucker is start to start, or finish to finish. So it's the "hot" of one coils to the "hot" on the other, not the ground!
            Yeah, what he said!

Comment

One othr way to describe it (thanks goes out to Lollar) is "path to ground". If you ground the start wire from coil 1 you should have the end wire of coil 2 grounded trough coil 1. That way you have reversed the electric polarity of the two coils. Does that makes any sense? Probably not. Get Lollars book. He describes it better...

Has he released it as a E-book as he mentioned he would?

Comment

I've seen on all the wiring scheme that series wiring has to be made with the end of one coil into the start of the other one...

Comment

Originally posted by Triad View Post
                  I've seen on all the wiring scheme that series wiring has to be made with the end of one coil into the start of the other one...
                  Only if the coils are wound in the opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Triad View Post
                    Not according to this:

Seymour Duncan Wiring Diagram

Notice the finish ends are connected to the finish ends of the coils for the series connection.

I had that same problem the first time I wired up a humbucker... 36 years ago. Just try swapping the wires and see what you get.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Exactly! The friend who gave me the winder told me the same thing... and you're both right but my soldering iron was dead, I'll make a new connection tomorrow and will let you know

Comment

Thanx guys! After speaking to a friend by the phone (he made pickups too) I realized I didn't swap the second bobin's wires color so I basically had to connect black with black to have series and humcancelling
                        Fixed this and the bass sounded extremely good... thank you!

Comment

Hello

I made my first humbcker yesterday.

I wound the two coils in opposite directions, I used six 5 mm alnico magnets in each, one set north facing, one set south facing. I thought i had connected one end wire to the other coils start wire.
                          Results thin, weedy, no bass, out of phase and sounding like poo. (just what i wanted, not! ha!)

I swopped wires start to start and it resulted in a good strong signal.
                          Now i may have got it wrong with the wires as when i was ptting it together i snapped an other wire which i used 'fudged' to be a new end wire rather than trying to splice it back together.

Now i'm a bit lost, i have read the above a few times and please exuse me as i can be a bit slow at digesting things at times. (so i'm told!).

To make matters worse i took apart in the 'pursuit of knowledge' a cheap yamaha pickup, this had both END wires connected and both coils wound the same - clockwise.

1. Is the yamaha the 'right' way to do it, (ok, i know there is no right, just different).

2. If i did want to wire opposite directions, what do i connect the start of one to?

3. How do you (dear reader) do it? wind direction and connecting.

Thanks for any help, John

Bye the way very pleased with pickup, it sounds great, 12.5k plus i can switch it to single coil mode. Learned a lot from the forum, just foxed on the direction/connection business.

Comment

If you wind the coils in the same direction, connect the end of one coil to the end of the other (or start to start...). If you wind them in different direction you connect the end of one coil to the start of the other. That way the coils will be electrically out of phase. If you have two coils electrically out of phase and magnetically in phase the result will be as you first experience. The same thin happens if you have then electrically in phase and magnetically out of phase. The two coils need to be both magnetically and electrically out of phase. Kind of when minus 1 minus minus one makes minus two. The subject have been discussed a few time and there are better explanations if you do a search

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsorguk View Post
                              Hello

I made my first humbcker yesterday.

I wound the two coils in opposite directions...
                              Most humbuckers are wound in the same direction. There's no real reason to wind in opposite directions, and it's more bother than it's worth IMO.

But do like Peter said. If you wind in opposite directions, wire the coils start to finish, or finish to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X