Tweed Twin 5E8-A Finished Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed Twin 5E8-A Finished Build

Here's a link to some photos of my finished build. It started as a Ted Weber kit and I added the following mods:

Vari-watt from Skipz-circuits
    1K - 3 Watt screen resistors
    1.5K - 1/2 watt grid stoppers on V1 and V2
    Safety diodes (1N5408) on the rectifier
    Single RCA 5U4GB rectifier
    EH 12AY7 tubes in V1, V2, and V3
    Shugaung 12AX7 in V4
    RCA 7027A for the PA (biased at 45mA and 434 volts)
    22 mfd/ 500 volt cap for first filter
    Heyboer Multitap OT # 18343

Atlas Amps 5E8A Tweed Twin with Vari-watt - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

GR8 job!

layout is nice and neat.

how does is sound??

Comment

Very tidy - I'm keen to hear how the variwatt affects things (when you are ready)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks gentlemen. There were no problems with the build, and I didn't have to chase any strange hums or noises, so the ground scheme must be OK. I've never played or heard a 5E8A before this one, so it's kind of hard for me to give a critical comparison. I tried to find the 57 Tweed Twin RI at the local guitar center, but they don't have one in stock for me to play - but they'd be willing to order one for me..... It was funny, they'd never heard of a Tweed Twin before I mentioned it and told them it comes from the Fender Custom Shop.

Anyway, if I compare it to my 5F6A, the amp is more midrangey and at the same time very sensitive on the treble control. It also breaks up earlier with a more singing distortion. The Variwatt does work as described. I can adjust the plate voltage down from 434 volts to 12 volts, and the bias tracks along by itself. I can crank in huge overdrive when the VW plate voltage is reduced and sound like Led Zep, but I find the most use in it just reducing the plate voltage a little to get a little overdrive. The amp weighs 48.5 lbs on the bathroom scale, about 2 lbs lighter than the Bassman. I'm going to haul the amp over to a different music store to have some unbiased ears give me some feedback.

I still don't know how to upload or make videos, so I can't let you hear it. Maybe some day.....

Comment

Well I thought I was finished, but decided to do a little tweaking. I added a 150K resistor across the treble pot connected to the ground switch, so I can change the voicing of the amp - scooped midrange. Goes from Tweed Twin to a not quite blackface.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15090/

Comment

... yes I too find that the tweaking usually goes on for some months after the build is 'finished' ...
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Another tweak. I changed the power scaling from only the power tubes to the whole amp. This reduces the overall gain available, but there's still plenty for me. And it just sounds better.

Comment

And yet another tweak. Swapped in a pair of EL34s in place of the 7027A tubes. The amp now has less of a Fender flavor. According to the local music store owner, he thinks it sounds like a Hiwatt. The EL34s add some bass and midrange punch and change the tone of the overdrive.

Comment

Good looking build!

Comment

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Comment

Working...
                    X