Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Amp build (5E3)

Hi All,
    I've been snooping around all the forums for a few months now.
    seems you all convinced me i needed a 5E3!

I've build it all from scratch, The wood work is rather average as I haven't touched a saw or chisel for quite a few years!
    The amp its self is (at this stage) stock, with the exception of the Rectifier tube is a Gz-34s.
    V1 and V2 are both JJ ecc83s and the power tubes are JJ 6v6s.
    The speaker is a Jensen C12N.

The chassis was bent up from 16 gauge aluminium. Im still trying to figure out a way to label the face plate!(any ideas VERY welcome!)

I'm still waiting on a few capacitors to arrive are very open to any suggestion on how to improve or make this amp better!

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by danielarimcaulay; 09-11-2009, 01:12 AM.

Originally posted by danielarimcaulay View Post
    I'm still waiting on a few capacitors to arrive are very open to any suggestion on how to improve or make this amp better!
    Well, since we're waiting on capacitors we don't know that it needs to be altered to be better yet.

There are A LOT of mods for the 5E3. Our own resident 5E3 expert, Beuce Collins, has pioneered many of them. So if you don't like it when it's finished, your in the right place.

Chuck

P.S. The cabinet and chassis look great. "I" like the hand cut dovetail/finger joint look.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Really good looking build!

would like to see a gut shot of your wiring.

there are SO MANY mods for the 5E3 it's unreal. My first build was a 5E3 and I've been so in love with the tone it makes modding has never crossed my mind.

we have mostly single coil guitars here in this house with just 2 that have humbuckers. they dont sound as well as the singles, but a simple cap swap would fix that quick if i so desired. (a Tele thru a 5E3 is pure earvana!)

I found the 2 vol/tone conrol to be a bit like dialing in a oiji board, but thats simply the nature of the tweed beast.

I've never heard ANYONE who's played though my 5E3 walk away and think its' mediocer or poor in sound, a few have wished for more volume, but damn for a 1 X 12 cab it will ring your ears.

have fun with your new old amp
      Ray

Comment

You might try water slide decals for the lables. Do a search for them..Most Hobby stores will have the paper.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into modelling decals.

Also can anyone think of a good way to mount the baffle board without having screws visible from the front on top?

I will upload some photos of the guts as son as I've put the last of the components in!

Comment

By the way, is the jumper plugged-in just for the photo?

If the jacks are wired typically like the 5E3, you've jumpered one channel to itself...

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
              By the way, is the jumper plugged-in just for the photo?

If the jacks are wired typically like the 5E3, you've jumpered one channel to itself...
              The jumper was just there to assist in making sure i was soldering onto the right connection!

Comment

What a cool-looking amp!

As for "what else?", what about a carry-strap? (they are cheap from Ernie Ball)

Also maybe you could stick another narrow (of some width to provide an optimal 'tuning of the cab) slab of wood at the bottom back of the cab, once you get it up and running - helps keep your cables stowed on-board too.

As for control panel marking, you could try this (highly experimental) stuff (you probably have to get it from an art supply shop):

http://www.lazertran.com/techniques/ceramics.htm
                Last edited by tubeswell; 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM.
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                  What a cool-looking amp!

As for "what else?", what about a carry-strap? (they are cheap from Ernie Ball)

Also maybe you could stick another narrow (of some width to provide an optimal 'tuning of the cab) slab of wood at the bottom back of the cab, once you get it up and running - helps keep your cables stowed on-board too.

As for control panel marking, you could try this (highly experimental) stuff (you probably have to get it from an art supply shop):

Lazertran used on ceramics , metal and glass
                  Thanks. I have tried to find a Black dog handle type handle. But seems to be difficult to find in Australia! I'll keep looking.
                  Not sure of the sound yet as I haven't 100% completed the "turret" board.

And thanks for the advise on the bottom back plate. Is the sound prone to change much with or without? I keep meaning to put one on just for aesthetics now!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Cabinet finally finished.
                    Found a Fender logo and a handle at the local music shop!
                    Still waiting on some electrical bits, will post some chassis pics once its all up and running!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X