No announcement yet.

How do you position your 'start wire'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you position your 'start wire'?

Now I'm new to winding coils (I say coils not pickups, because my end goal is I guess really more like a low wind coil than a pickup...even though I use bobbins shaped like pickups!), but it seems to me there can only be two options for how the 'start' wire is physically positioned wrt the bobbin when starting the wind...

1. feed the end of the start wire into the bobbin centre, then through & out the back of via a small hole drilled near the bobbin core.

2. Do away with that all together & just feed it onto the bobbin - but this means the start wire 'exits' the bobbin where the reset of the wire is fed onto the bobbin, meaning if a small number of turn on the coil is all that's required...it'll spoil the traversal aesthetics of the wind.

Now I'm figuring that due the thousands of turns a pickup maker makes, that he matters not one iota about the issue-ette caused by option 2...because it won't be discernible.

I tried googling to get a little more info on how start wires & end wires are actually physically presented on/off the coil (not soldering the tails, but more how the actual enamelled copper start & end wire are positioned wrt bobbin.

I'd be grateful for any info about this (for me at least) 'grey area'!!

Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post
    Now I'm new to winding coils (I say coils not pickups, because my end goal is I guess really more like a low wind coil than a pickup...even though I use bobbins shaped like pickups!), but it seems to me there can only be two options for how the 'start' wire is physically positioned wrt the bobbin when starting the wind...

1. feed the end of the start wire into the bobbin centre, then through & out the back of via a small hole drilled near the bobbin core.

2. Do away with that all together & just feed it onto the bobbin - but this means the start wire 'exits' the bobbin where the reset of the wire is fed onto the bobbin, meaning if a small number of turn on the coil is all that's required...it'll spoil the traversal aesthetics of the wind.

Now I'm figuring that due the thousands of turns a pickup maker makes, that he matters not one iota about the issue-ette caused by option 2...because it won't be discernible.

I tried googling to get a little more info on how start wires & end wires are actually physically presented on/off the coil (not soldering the tails, but more how the actual enamelled copper start & end wire are positioned wrt bobbin.

I'd be grateful for any info about this (for me at least) 'grey area'!!

I think the StewMac bobbins have a little hole close to the core to put the start wire through but most other suppliers don't have that feature and it's easy enough to solder the start wire to the coil wire and lay it down so it sticks out of one end of the bobbin (a small amount of tape helps). Once you start winding a few turns it stays in place and the diameter of the start wire doesn't really effect the coil by the time it's all on the bobbin.

Comment

This will be music to Jonson's ears.
      Here's how he's been positioning his start wires....

Click image for larger version

Name:	defibrillator-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	815336
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

I don't bother with the hole. I just tape the soldered lead to the inside of the bobbin and extend it out one end.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I don't bother with the hole. I just tape the soldered lead to the inside of the bobbin and extend it out one end.
          That's what she said....

Comment

Working...
          X