Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion of a SF Deluxe to SF ProReverb specs

Hi,

Pls I need suggestions about conversion of my’79 Deluxe circuit into a SF Proreverb , I am looking for a very clean and loud sound for Jazz so I need my amp to be giggable at club volumes in trio , quartet ecc.
    For my guitar style I won’t never need any distortion

Should I need to change anything to the phase inverter circuit in order to get a later breakup ?
    Which coupling caps/resistors I should replace to adapt the circuit just the same as a SF proreverb?
    About filtering caps I was thinking to use two 100uf-350v in parallel with 220k resistors and the other tree caps are 20uf-500v with 1k and 4,7 resistors , are this the exact values in order to have a clean sound without distortion on a proreverb like circuit ?

Actually my amp is working with stock Deluxe PT , a custom pro reverb/vibrolux style OT with 8ohm output (this one replaces Fender P/N 036968 + 125A7A / 022848) , a bigger choke filter (the same used in a pro reverb), sovtek 6L6WXT tubes ,five 20uf-500v spargue atom filter caps , 5U4GB rectifier , and biased around 33ma , the speaker is the fender blue original.
    The amp is louder than a deluxe now but when I play with strong dynamics it still distort even on 3 of volume and this doesn’t depend of the speakers since I also tried with two big JBL , anyways , I will replace very soon the stock fender blue speaker with an Eminence Legend 1218 that is 150w and I already purchased a ProReverb Power Tranformer to totally convert the amp.

I won’t do just the deluxe mod with 6L6 and the solid state recto because that would be only a deluxe mod and I really need to totally change the sound for clean.
    I already got a proreverb PT .(the proreverb circuit calls for a 5U4GB rectifier without any need to use a solid state recto) and also I want to just convert the amp to proreverb specs.

If I lived in the States all this work would be very easy just carrying the amp to a qualified tech to do the job for me , but here in Italy the situation is different because I can’t find a tech that have enough experience
    with this kind of modifications on fender amps , anyways I found a tech that will do the job for me but he already asked exactly what to do so any advices will be very precious and helpful.

Many of you would say : Why you don’t just buy a proreverb ?
    The reason is that I prefer to have a smaller cab with only one load 150w ’12 speaker , an amp loud and clean enough for Jazz and my deluxe seems to be a good platform to work on for this.

thank you in advance, John

Originally posted by Jazz-O-Sonor View Post
    Hi,

..I will replace very soon the stock fender blue speaker with an Eminence Legend 1218 that is 150w and I already purchased a ProReverb Power Tranformer to totally convert the amp...
    Before you go crazy with circuit mods, the single most important change you can make is a speaker upgrade. I'm not familiar with the Eminence Legend you mention, but an efficient speaker will help more than anything else IMO. I've heard a stock DR with an EVM12-L played by a jazz player and it sounded very good. Maybe a Emi Swamp Thang would be a good choice. An easy change to do would be to replace the 5U4GB with a 5AR4 (GZ34) and rebias the tubes. I've read of guys using SS rectifiers in these too. Overall there isnt really a great deal of difference between the Pro Reverb and Deluxe Reverb, from strictly a circuit viewpoint.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz-O-Sonor View Post

If I lived in the States all this work would be very easy just carrying the amp to a qualified tech to do the job for me , but here in Italy the situation is different because I can’t find a tech that have enough experience
      with this kind of modifications on fender amps , anyways I found a tech that will do the job for me but he already asked exactly what to do so any advices will be very precious and helpful.

Many of you would say : Why you don’t just buy a proreverb ?
      The reason is that I prefer to have a smaller cab with only one load 150w ’12 speaker , an amp loud and clean enough for Jazz and my deluxe seems to be a good platform to work on for this.

thank you in advance, John
      John: ship the chassis to the Netherlands and I'll do it (not to spam!)

Speaker 1st (EV/JBL), after that checking the powersupply-nodes for ProReverb values and putting the neg.feedback "specs" to ProReverb or even TwinReverb "values" to add (way) more headroom.

Bigger choke (TR style or a "big Marshall one") and putting the 1st two filtercaps (but doubling each value) in series will also help improving headroom, clean-sound and "percieved power".

Rectifier: GZ34 or solid state

Chris
      Love, peace & loudness,
      Chris
      http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

Working...
      X